Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Huberman Lab Podcast #42

Andrew Huberman 1.1M subscribers This episode I describe science-supported nutrients for brain and performance (cognition) and for nervous system health generally. I describe 10 tools for this purpose, including specific amounts and sources for Omega-3 fatty acids which make up the "structural fat" of neurons (nerve cells) and allow them to function across our lifespan. I also review data on creatine, phosphatidylserine, anthocyanins, choline, glutamine and how they each impact brain function in healthy people seeking to reinforce and improve their cognition and in those combatting cognitive decline. I describe both food-based and supplement-based sources for these compounds, and their effective dose ranges based on peer-reviewed literature. Then I review the 3 factors: gut-brain signaling, perceived taste, and learned associations that combine with the metabolic and blood-sugar-elevating effects of food to determine what foods we seek and prefer. Amazingly, it's not just about what tastes good to us. Next, I explore how we can leverage the neural circuits of learned food preference toward seeking and enjoying the right foods for brain health and performance. I also review new data on non-caloric sweeteners and why consuming them with glucose-elevating foods can be detrimental, in some cases rapidly leading to insulin dysregulation. This episode covers more than 10 actionable tools for those seeking to improve and/or maintain brain function, and it explains modern neuroscience underlying of our sense of taste, our food seeking preferences and brain metabolism. #HubermanLab #Diet #Brain Thank you to our sponsors: ROKA - https://www.roka.com -- code: "huberman" InsideTracker - https://www.insidetracker.com/huberman Headspace - https://www.headspace.com/specialoffer RETHINK EDUCATION: The Biology of Learning Featuring Dr. Andrew Huberman: https://youtu.be/Oo7hQapFe3M Our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/andrewhuberman Supplements from Thorne: http://www.thorne.com/u/huberman Social: Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/hubermanlab Twitter - https://twitter.com/hubermanlab Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hubermanlab Website - https://hubermanlab.com Newsletter - https://hubermanlab.com/neural-network Links: Review on Anthocyanins & Cognition - https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/24/23/... Review on Creatine & Brain Health Studies - https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/2/586 Review on "Rethinking Food Reward" - www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-psych-122216-011643 Timestamps: 00:00:00 Food & Brain Function Introduction 00:02:08 Summary: Critical Aspects of Time Restricted Feeding/Fasting 00:04:19 Sponsors: Roka, Athletic Greens, Headspace 00:08:24 Neuroplasticity Super Protocol (Zero-Cost Tools) Online 00:09:22 Eating to Enhance Brain Function & Foundational Aspects of Brain Health 00:13:00 Eating Fats for Brain Health, EFAs Phospholipids (Tool 1: 1-3g EPA Omega-3/day) 00:20:35 Phosphatidylserine (Tool 2: 300mg/day) 00:22:15 Choline, Egg Yolks (Tool 3: 1-2g/day Threshold) 00:28:26 Hydration & Electrolytes (Tool 4) 00:29:50 Liquid Fish Oil/Capsules (2-3g EPA per day; 300mg Alpha GPC 2-4X/week) 00:32:22 Creatine for Cognition (Tool 5: 5g/day) 00:36:28 Anthocyanins, Dark Skin Berries (Tool 6-10mg/day (Extract), 1-2 cups Berries) 00:41:19 L-Glutamine (Tool: 1-10g/day) & Offsetting Apnea & Inflammation 00:49:23 Neural Basis of Food Preference, Yum, Yuck, Meh; Taste, Guts, & Beliefs 00:55:25 Taste is 100% In your Head 00:59:50 Gut Neurons Controlling Food Preference: Neuropod Cells; (Tool 7: Fermented Foods) 01:06:14 Capsule Probiotics, Brain Fog 01:07:16 Learning to Like Specific Tastes: Sweetness & Brain Metabolism 01:12:11 Hard-Wiring & Soft-Wiring 01:13:25 Artificial & Non-Caloric Sweeteners: Safe or Harmful Depends on (Glucose) Context 01:18:15 Non-Caloric Sweetener & Insulin; (Tool 8: Don’t Have w/Glucose Elevating Foods) 01:22:17 Beliefs & Thoughts; The Insula; (Tool 9: Pairing-Based Reshaping Food Preferences) 01:30:42 Liking Neuro-Healthy Foods & Bettering Brain Metabolism (Tool 10); Food Wars 01:36:05 Food Reward & Diabetes, Obesity; Important Review Article (See Caption) 01:38:28 Synthesis, Zero-Cost Support, Future Topic Suggestions, Sponsors, Supplements Please note that The Huberman Lab Podcast is distinct from Dr. Huberman's teaching and research roles at Stanford University School of Medicine. The information provided in this show is not medical advice, nor should it be taken or applied as a replacement for medical advice. The Huberman Lab Podcast, its employees, guests and affiliates assume no liability for the application of the information discussed. Title Card Photo Credit: Mike Blabac - https://www.blabacphoto.com Chapters Food & Brain Function Introduction 0:00 Summary: Critical Aspects of Time Restricted Feeding/Fasting 2:08 Sponsors: Roka, Athletic Greens, Headspace 4:19 Neuroplasticity Super Protocol (Zero-Cost Tools) Online 8:24 Eating to Enhance Brain Function & Foundational Aspects of Brain Health 9:22 Eating Fats for Brain Health, EFAs Phospholipids (Tool 1: 1-3g EPA Omega-3/day) 13:00 1,291 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Lucas Mendicino Lucas Mendicino 7 months ago When Dr. Huberman is like, "... and thank you for your interest in science." Ummmmm hold up dude. THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING ZERO COST TO CONSUMER INFORMATION ABOUT SCIENCE AND SCIENCE-RELATED TOOLS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC!! My interest is sparked and fulfilled by your podcast. Keep it up and I will do the same!! Can't wait for the episode on concussions!! Hope you have a croissant in the near future ;) 1.6K Andrew Huberman Juicy Leek Juicy Leek 7 months ago Didn’t get any morning sunlight for over 20 YEARS and struggled with depression and poor sleep for most of my adult life. Discovered this podcast and decided to try getting morning sunlight for 10 minutes every day because why the hell not, it can’t hurt. One month later, I’m noticeably happier and more cheerful, and I’m sleeping better. Andrew, that one piece of advice had a more profound effect on my mental health than my therapist did. I hope you know that you’re literally saving the lives of people around the world! 328 Lina Luigina Dimitri Lina Luigina Dimitri 6 months ago I am officially hooked : I can’t recall what life was like before I discovered the Huberman Lab. Thank you so much for sharing the knowledge, experiments and findings . So fascinating & I love your sense of humour . You are a phenomenal speaker . Let’s clone you … thank you so much . Amazing . Grateful follower … taking the info on board . Thanks 🙏🏻. Lina 89 Ciskuss Ciskuss 5 months ago (edited) 1. EPA: Fish, omega-3 plants, supplements 2. phosphatydilserine 3. Choline: egg yolks 4. Water, Magnesium, Potassium 5. Blueberries 68 Learning History Learning History 7 months ago I just love how concise you are in your podcasts, it's an hour and a half of one relevant piece of info after another. I quit most podcasts because they waste so much time going off topic, joking and what not. 214 Rick James Rick James 7 months ago The most influential person i follow. No bs podcast, just pure knowledge. 30 Henri Kuusisto Henri Kuusisto 7 months ago Greetings from Finland! This podcast has been such an eye opener. I've got so many new tools to manage my circadian rythm for example. Andrew you are true rockstar of science. And a good humour too. I find myself rather often chuckling which is rare. 62 adam Cohen adam Cohen 7 months ago This is one of the best and most applicable talks I’ve heard so far with direct implications on health coaching. The concept of the role of the insula connects directly to current concepts about enteroception and chronic pain. This may be a good topic for future discussion. A study just released on pain reprocessing therapy and neuroplastic pain speaks to this. 25 Vik Singh Dogra Vik Singh Dogra 6 months ago (edited) Feel like I'm back in College but the difference is I love these classes delivered with such simplicity. Thanks Sparta!!!! Love your work. 48 Priscilla Bergeron Priscilla Bergeron 7 months ago Awesome content like always. Really interesting. When are you going to do a series of podcast on TBI, post-tbi, concussion? Could you please include post concussion visual syndrome? And solutions to fix it? Im 2.5years into my 4th mild TBI and still having post concussion visual syndrome despite doing neuro-rehab exercices for 1.5years. Dr don’t really know what to do with me now… but I’m positive there are solutions and I’m still working hard to improve. 11 Re Vain Re Vain 6 months ago Thank you Andrew for the effort you have put in to this podcast. Your episode on dopamine control is perhaps the single most useful piece of 2 hour information I have ever come across. Some months ago I stopped snusing (Swedish nicotine products) and I have managed to regulate the time I spend on social media, YouTube, movies and other fun but somewhat procrastinaty activities. Stuff still draws me in of course but I now feel like I have a tool to counter it. When I find myself get sucked in I stop and do a mental check. Do I really need this dopamine-release right now? Or should I refrain from doing the activity and instead put my mind to something else? It has really helped me man. I have loads more energy to distribute on the activities and pursuits that mean a lot to me! So thank you and I hope you keep up or even improve the quality of this awesome podcast! From 🇸🇪 with ❤️ Btw, I have a few questions regarding dopamine and dopamine control. If you would be interested in taking a stab at them I’ll send them to you. 8 paul maloney paul maloney 7 months ago I find it rather interesting, I decided to begin eating healthier a few years ago and there were many healthy foods that I disliked and I would not even consider eating. I started introducing those foods into my diet , at first they were uneatable but I continued to eat them and now they are my favorite foods. I thought I was training my taste buds but now I see that I was rewiring my brain, great video, very detailed and informative. 4 YASSMINA EL HASSNAOUI YASSMINA EL HASSNAOUI 7 months ago Your podcasts are perhaps the only ones with actual useful information. I’ve never learned so much in just one podcast. Thank you 34 Robson Rogan Robson Rogan 7 months ago Dr Huberman, thank you for sharing health science in such a dynamic and concise platform. I would (and many others) would appreciate greatly if one subject you could tackle is the gut microbiome and autoimmune diseases which plagues our world insidiously. 😎 8 Jeremy Webster Jeremy Webster 7 months ago Thanks for being you Andrew. I can't imagine what you've endured to be this person. What a blessing! 81 Виктор Драганов Виктор Драганов 7 months ago I swear, these episodes just get better & better. Thank you Andrew! Very interesting information and very good presentation. 9 FlemetAeton FlemetAeton 7 months ago WOO!!! I'm all caught up! catching up on 52+ hours of dense lecture-like content while taking notes takes much longer than expected. Love these videos. I share your channel with all of my motivated friends. They all love the information you present. 8 Roksana Zinchenko Roksana Zinchenko 7 months ago I have been binge-watching all the podcasts. Many thanks Professor Huberman, you are transforming people's lives !!! 11 Francisca Travassos Francisca Travassos 7 months ago I'm addicted to these podcasts! I think would be pretty cool to talk about pet's health and how to improve longivity in animals. Would be awesome to hear some science abou that! 5 Bún Tú Bún Tú 5 months ago Nothing can be exchanged for the knowledge Andrew brought us, priceless. 1 Hans Jorgensen Hans Jorgensen 7 months ago All these episodes are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to translate important science for the masses :) 25 Alethea Lim Alethea Lim 7 months ago Loved this episode and every episode before. Thank you for sharing illuminating science-based facts that are directly applicable to everyday life. Although I am not at all well-versed in biology I appreciate how you make your episodes easy to follow. I have learned so much from your podcast and also debunked some myths I previously believed. Every episode reminds me that I should really question whether the facts people or media are dispersing are really supported by scientific studies. Also I find your voice extremely calming, it's really been helpful in managing my anxiety. Thanks so much! 3 Jenny King Jenny King 7 months ago Finally got through this! Thanks for touching on the microbiome! I’d love to see you interview Dr. Will Bulsiewicz (author of Fiber Fueled) or the founders of Seed synbiotic (Ara Katz and Raja Dhir). They are so knowledgeable and it would be epic to see your neuro angle with their microbio focus! Would be sweet. Or plantbased experts Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Michael Greger, or starchivore doc Dr. John McDougall, among many others! I know I’m leaning plantbased here, but the topic is fascinating regardless of your own practices and these are all non-judgemental, science-based researchers with plenty of super cool nerdy factoids and tips! Love your podcasts! 🤘🏻 4 L Steph L Steph 7 months ago Hi Dr Hubermann, I have recently started listening to your episodes which were recommended by my fitness trainer. They are really helpful and based on your recommendation I have started intermittent fasting, strength and HIIT training and improving my sleeping routine. I have seen some significant results within 6 weeks (reducing weight, body fat, improving moods, feeling more energetic etc). There is a topic i am interested and it would be great if you can cover it. Do women entering pre/menopause have weaker results due to hormone change even they follow strictly your protocol? Or is it rather psychological limitation? Any science base theory? Or any adaptation of the protocol which can even optimise to see better results? Many thanks! Steph 8 Paris Outside My Front Door Paris Outside My Front Door 7 months ago (edited) This is so fantastic! Thank you! I wonder if any research has been done on how chemo and radiation on the various parts of the digestive system (specifically colon cancer) impact the neuropod receptors. I ask this because as a person treated with these chemicals and processes, my digestion doesn’t make sense to me anymore. It would be great to have a better understanding of the physical mechanisms impacted. Maybe someone like me could positively counteract the overall impact of the treatment. Maybe it’s as “simple” as ingesting more fermented foods. Thanks, as always. Honestly, your work is a God-send. 23 Kukosan Kukosan 7 months ago Just here to mention that the suggestion of pinch of salt with a glass of water in the morning from last week's episode has paid huge dividends for me already. I had struggled with what seemed like some kind of neural fatigue for a while now, sodium seems to have immediately fixed that! Also, it greatly impacted my REM sleep according to my Oura ring - I get the same amounts of REM in 7 hours of sleep that I used to need 9 hours for! And this directly results in better cognitive performance during the day, as I had a day where I slept less than 7 hours (and REM was also less according to my Oura that day), so I was immediately brain fogged again. 44 David Graves David Graves 7 months ago Thank you, sir. Can't believe your videos are not suggested more by YT's system. Glad I found you. Now subscribed. As a short-attention-span ADDer, I really appreciate the time and effort put into the episode synopses and time stamping; the video titles are appealing but the lengths of 2 and 3 hours are intimidating to someone like me. The outlines immediately remove that feeling and make the videos even more appealing than the titles alone. Thank you. 5 Ceci Palacios Ceci Palacios 7 months ago Fascinating! Thanks Dr Huberman for sharing your knowledge in such a way that makes a complex subject easy to understand. Priceless! A gift by itself. Starting with the setting which is so relaxing to watch, each of your talks are fascinating as it incorporates many important elements to help your audience discover the wonders of how the brain functions in relation with the body!

No comments: