Saturday, June 18, 2022

David Sinclair: Extending the Human Lifespan Lex Fridman Podcast #189

David Sinclair: Extending the Human Lifespan Beyond 100 Years | Lex Fridman Podcast #189 507,284 viewsJun 6, 2021 Lex Fridman 1.79M subscribers David Sinclair is a geneticist at Harvard and author of Lifespan. Please support this podcast by checking out our sponsors: - Onnit: https://lexfridman.com/onnit to get up to 10% off - Clear: https://clearme.com/lexpod and use code LexPod to get 2 months free - National Instruments (NI): https://www.ni.com/perspectives - SimpliSafe: https://simplisafe.com/lex and use code LEX to get a free security camera - Linode: https://linode.com/lex to get $100 free credit EPISODE LINKS: David's Twitter: https://twitter.com/davidasinclair David's Website: https://lifespanbook.com PODCAST INFO: Podcast website: https://lexfridman.com/podcast Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2lwqZIr Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2nEwCF8 RSS: https://lexfridman.com/feed/podcast/ Full episodes playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... Clips playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... OUTLINE: 0:00 - Introduction 1:34 - Staying young at heart 5:30 - Bringing people back to life 11:05 - Wearables and tracking health data 20:18 - How to solve aging 30:22 - Why do we age? 35:50 - Genetic reset switch that reverses aging 38:20 - AI in biology 40:52 - Health data 48:58 - Fasting 56:29 - Diet 1:04:40 - Exercise 1:10:01 - Sleep 1:18:29 - Data 1:24:00 - Extending lifespan 1:26:42 - Immortality 1:32:28 - Denial of death 1:35:45 - Meaning of life without death SOCIAL: - Twitter: https://twitter.com/lexfridman - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lexfridman - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lexfridman - Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lexfridman - Medium: https://medium.com/@lexfridman - Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/lexfridman - Support on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/lexfridman Chapters Introduction 0:00 Staying young at heart 1:34 Bringing people back to life 5:30 Wearables and tracking health data 11:05 How to solve aging 20:18 Why do we age? 30:22 1,874 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Lex Fridman Pinned by Lex Fridman Lex Fridman 1 year ago Here are the timestamps. Please check out our sponsors to support this podcast. 0:00 - Introduction & sponsor mentions: - Onnit: https://lexfridman.com/onnit to get up to 10% off - Clear: https://clearme.com/lexpod and use code LexPod to get 2 months free - National Instruments (NI): https://www.ni.com/perspectives - SimpliSafe: https://simplisafe.com/lex and use code LEX to get a free security camera - Linode: https://linode.com/lex to get $100 free credit 1:34 - Staying young at heart 5:30 - Bringing people back to life 11:05 - Wearables and tracking health data 20:18 - How to solve aging 30:22 - Why do we age? 35:50 - Genetic reset switch that reverses aging 38:20 - AI in biology 40:52 - Health data 48:58 - Fasting 56:29 - Diet 1:04:40 - Exercise 1:10:01 - Sleep 1:18:29 - Data 1:24:00 - Extending lifespan 1:26:42 - Immortality 1:32:28 - Denial of death 1:35:45 - Meaning of life without death 261 Troy Walt Troy Walt 1 year ago David Sinclair, a hero of mine, instead of sport players these are the guys we should support and care about, the ones that will improve our lives. 849 Lachlan Perry Lachlan Perry 1 year ago I love hearing Dr. Sinclair speak because he always brings up something new. 238 Crab of Chaos Crab of Chaos 1 year ago "How nice it is to collect data about a person, to CAPTURE that person" — Lex Fridman, Russian supervillain, 2021 230 GoHeartGo GoHeartGo 1 year ago Lex is killing it with this guest! A pop tosis! Cheers 459 Delbert Kroupa Delbert Kroupa 1 year ago This was difficult and painful to watch, as my wife and I just lost our son, an only child, to sudden heart failure, on May 2, at 44 years old, leaving a 15 year old daughter. We are both 76 years old. Daniel and his daughter enjoyed time together, walking and talking about issues, gaming, cooking, etc. Still, I am glad that I watched it, and I surely would have shared the link with him, even though we both had Lex on our subscribe list. It pains me to discover that we are on the verge of wearing sensors that would have likely seen the heart failure signs far enough in advance to save him. Daniel worked IT at the University of Michigan, Medical Services, helping to keep all of the software and hardware issues fixed. I am crying once again as I write this. 22 Will Howe Will Howe 1 year ago Dang lex has been really killin' the guest lineup lately 446 Shane Robson Shane Robson 1 year ago Big love to Grandmothers who raised their grandchildren. 473 Thomas Dovell Thomas Dovell 1 year ago You should definitely have Aubrey De Grey next! Arguably the most important individual in the field of biology - the OG of longevity research. On top of that he fits your podcast perfectly as he was AI researcher before he switched to gerontology. He will also very quickly change your mind on this "death is blessing in disguise" nonsense! 136 Doug Hawkes Doug Hawkes 1 year ago David got me interested in longevity. Aubrey de Grey showed me that we know what to do to reverse the hallmarks of aging. I hope you invite Aubrey onto the podcasts as well! 77 Mickael Jansson Mickael Jansson 10 months ago Another inspiring interview. Interesting to hear what is going on in the labs and what we hopefully soon can use for a reasonable amount. 4 Kenny Fortuin Kenny Fortuin 11 months ago This interview was worth every minute. Great in depth and meaningful conversation Lex. 5 Canadian Prepper Canadian Prepper 1 year ago Two androids walk into a bar and have this comversation 209 Taylor Roberts Taylor Roberts 1 year ago David's Book Lifespan is a great read...a must read imo. Looking forward to listening to this, luv both you guys! 93 enovasia enovasia 7 months ago Extraordinary. Beautiful. Riveting conversation. Memorable. Stimulating. Smiled with intellectual pleasure throughout. David Sinclair is a superstar, yet modest and personable with it. 4 Arlene Portsmouth Arlene Portsmouth 10 months ago (edited) 🥰 David Sinclair's grandmother experienced the same turmoil that my mother experienced during the second world war and the Hungarian revolution. 😭. It seems like at least once per month my mother would spend the weekend reliving all of the horrors she experienced during that time when the Germans invaded and raped her and everybody was just running with nothing but the clothes on their back with bombs dropping left and right, no stores no food no place to live it's still fresh in my mind. Every time I turn the water faucet on, I am amazed at the luxuries we take for granted! 😭. 👏On the subject matter I am an avid follower of David Sinclair!🏆 5 Brent Nally Brent Nally 1 year ago Huge thanks to Lex for having David on the podcast! It was EPIC! I interview healthy life extension enthusiasts, host Lifespan News and I'm the CEO/co-founder of Longevity Plan. I'm super focused on solving the human aging problem ASAP! 42 Beth Beth 11 months ago Beautiful, insightful, emotional conversation. A BIG fan of David Sinclair’s life’s work. So enjoy your conversations with the 🌍 /universe’s thought leaders. 3 NYC Vegan NYC Vegan 11 months ago This was time well spent, great interview. 8 W W 1 year ago Lex is Joe Rogan without the Bro Jogan 819 9999classy 9999classy 10 months ago One of the most enjoyable discussions both sides had a lot to give Dr David Sinclair is always a pleasure to listen to your facts 3 Anne Tessari Anne Tessari 8 months ago (edited) that was a great interview Lex. I was hooked with the mention of the A.A.Milne poem and didn't stop listening. I went and got the copy of the book my grandmother gave me when I was a child too Found the poem, read it while I was listening and started to tear up too. Makes me like David Sinclair even more. Just bought his book on amazon 2 the experimental creator the experimental creator 7 months ago This conversation was a work of art. I was going to say some of the podcasts have got a bit long recently, and that this one was nice for being a more digestible size, but I think my view on this is uninteresting, the three hour talk with your dad was amazing lex, thank you and much love. 1 Tom Wendt Tom Wendt 1 year ago This type of conversation helps me to examine my choices day by day. Thank you! 16 Fabi an Fabi an 10 months ago In my view, your most important or impactful interview yet. Especially since it affects everyone and at the same time is out of scope for nearly all of us. 4 Roland Connor Roland Connor 2 months ago I am 67, I lost my brother, the last immediate family member, last year. Suddenly, I have a keen desire to live well into my 90s if not longer. For the first time in my life, I am almost afraid of dying, that, if this is it, I want to experience as much as I can for as long as I can. Thank you Lex and David for a little light in the darkness. 2 Wendy Polatajko Wendy Polatajko 9 months ago One of the best podcasts I have ever listened to. I have just learned of David Sinclair this week and yourself Lex today. Amazing discussion. Thank you so much! Part 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...? :-) 3 Burman Lab Burman Lab 1 year ago Fantastic guest choice! Love seeing scientists I’ve discovered on separate occasions coming together for an enjoyable and insightful conversation. 14 Solas Composer Solas Composer 3 months ago That up at 7am after doing something meaningful is something I resonate with to my core as Lex mentions. For me it's composing soundtracks, it's my highlight times to do so even though, yes it puts me in temporary jet lag, in my opinion it's worth it for the release of passionate art that comes with it. 1 chewyjello1 chewyjello1 1 month ago 2:58 I love that Lex read this poem! I have vivid memories or reading that poem when I was 6 years old proudly to my mother...and then reading it silently to myself and feeling quite proud of how I had grown. 6 really is the BEST age. The age full of wonder, when you first start to peice the world together and search for your place in it. Suzannah White Suzannah White 8 months ago Lex - I'm addicted to your podcasts! Working my way through them all and learning a lot. Thank you for helping me remain curious. 3 RandyFrancisMMA RandyFrancisMMA 1 year ago I swear this dude gets younger looking every podcast lol 264 Mike Mike 1 year ago “Death smiles at us all; all we can do is smile back.” ― Marcus Aurelius 195 Jeff Robinson Jeff Robinson 4 weeks ago Very helpful stuff, thank you guys both so much for the awesome content! And Lex, thanks for the brown noise tidbit. I tried it, and it was helpful in zoning in +/tuning out -. I use white noise with some success, but it’s always nice to have another tool in the focus shed! 🤙🏼🌞 Julian Delgadillo Marin Julian Delgadillo Marin 1 month ago Nice podcast as always, dude Sinclair has interesting mission I'm reading his book and recommend it so far. Paradox Art Paradox Art 1 year ago (edited) LEX ! I was waiting for this one... Thanks a lot for all the great work you put into these podcasts. Greatings from Belgium. 3 Julian Xtra Julian Xtra 1 year ago One of the most beautiful/optimistic podcasts you’ve done. Amazing to hear why no stressing out makes practical sense from a biology standpoint. 3 Bob Wells Bob Wells 10 months ago Absolutely love this interview... David Sinclair is an amazing man but to watch him in total awe listening to Lex is something else. There's so much information in this video it should be pinned to the top of Google search! 😎🙏 7 Double Double 1 year ago His book is great too, and he reads for the audio book version. I highly recommend it 9 Robin Spiess Robin Spiess 1 year ago Excellent guest! Another interesting guest in the area of biology would be Michael Levin. He held a very interesting TED talk. He is looking into bioelectricity as a sort of programming language for anatomy and regeneration. 1 Shōnen Weeb Shōnen Weeb 1 year ago Great talk, so intriguing on multiple paradigms. Might be a big ask but Lex, do you think you’ll ever be able to get Ray Kurzweil on the podcast? 4 Victor Connor Victor Connor 7 months ago David, I just started reading your book, Lifespan, yesterday at the request of a friend. Even though I’ve studied science since 1960, I’ve stopped reading any books by medical people, doctors or researchers, because their scientific abilities, in general, are so poor. I have to admit that for the first 147 pages, I was impressed even though you said a few things that were totally wrong. I’m assuming you are a good researcher, but then page 148 happened. On that page you stated that you believed in the beneficial effects of vaccination! This is shocking to me because you seem to have no clue that vaccination, next to current AMA cancer therapies, are the worst thing that the medical system has ever done to humanity. Vaccination has damaged BILLIONS of people and has dramatically shortened the lives of MILLIONS of people, never really even helping one person. Now, you may ask who the hell am I, not being a medical researcher, so I’ll tell you. I fell in love with science in November of 1960, when I was in the second grade. Since then, I’ve read over 3,500 science books, performed hundreds of scientific experiments, solved tens of thousands of scientific, mathematical and engineering problems. What woke me up about vaccination was the fact that my children were both damaged by vaccines in the 1990s. Because of that I did some research on the topic and was shocked when I read a 1898 scientific paper by a British scientist, Alfred Russel Wallace, that was called “Vaccination a Delusion: It’s Penal Enforcement a Crime.” You can easily find the original paper on the Internet, which you should do immediately. If you do, then you will find that Jenner’s vaccine was one of the three major CAUSES of smallpox, and NEVER reduced it. I hope you can learn about this. Respectfully, Victor Connor 1 The Sheekey Science Show The Sheekey Science Show 1 year ago Great interview Lex! I'm really excited to be part of this growing field and the ability to enhance healthspan. 11 Azam Khan Azam Khan 1 year ago Can we just appreciate how well he explains those concepts with analogies. One of my favorite podcasts already. 8 Issy Jas Issy Jas 2 weeks ago Interesting conversation, I can see a time when there’s likely a breakthrough in helping people live longer. It’s at odds with an over populated world though but I imagine that will be overcome through zero reliance on fossil fuels, changes to diet, less importance on products from farm animals. I’m content with the finality of life as it stands, not sure I have the constitution for too long on this world. Barak Rigbi Barak Rigbi 10 months ago Until I heard the this episode I had a definite idea that the contemplation that we are mortals inherently drives meaning to our every moment. I took assurance from the Greek mythology where said that gods are abusing humans because they are jealous of our mortality, as they, the Gods, have meaningless existence because they can’t die. But now, after hearing this episode I realize that contemplating of living forever is IDENTICAL to the contemplation that we are going to die, and that it gives THE SAME meaning to every moment. Because both give time no meaning. Think about that: if you live forever what is the meaning of delaying to tomorrow? Time has no meaning. Tomorrow is identical to today. So when time has no meaning, it’s critical to make the maximum of every moment. Not because it will not come back (mortals meaning of life), but because you can’t escape your eternal present (immortals meaning of life). Thank you Lex and David for this existential epiphany. 12 Emily Barry Emily Barry 1 year ago YES to stressed plants🌱💪🍇! LOVE this topic (and longevity in general). GREAT conversation LEX and David🙏💜🤗 3 Jason S Jason S 11 months ago Wow great interview If you guys can team up and make this interview more digestible to the public 🤯 🙌💪 Hieu Hieu 1 year ago Been waiting for this podcast for ages! Awesome work as always :D 2 Taylor Wall Taylor Wall 1 year ago It's always a fascinating listen with Mr.Sinclair! Excellent episode, as per usual! 2 Luis Rodriguez III Luis Rodriguez III 1 year ago Couldn't have come at a better time! I've been waiting for David to be back on JRE, but having him appear here is arguably an even better treat. Thanks Lex! 3 Fourthz 44 Fourthz 44 1 year ago (edited) Awesome! Ive been waiting a long time to see dr David Sinclair on your podcast! You should also have Aubrey de Grey on your podcast. He too is one the most important leaders in the biology of aging (I'd rank him up there along with David). And he has an awesome beard too! 2 Chris Becker Chris Becker 1 year ago Another mind blowing interview. 3 Siddarth Siddarth 1 year ago Was eagerly waiting for this & boy was it worth it 😬 Thanks Lex ❤️ 1 Catherine Ross BA-Fine Art/Ma-Clinical Psychology Catherine Ross BA-Fine Art/Ma-Clinical Psychology 5 months ago Your offering so much with these candidly courageous interviews Lex — thank you so much for all of it … 💪❤️🙏👏💥🤪📚✈️⏰👀🎁💬🎶 Loved that poemmmMmmmmmm… by the 6yo … just wonderful! Tryllium T Tryllium T 1 year ago Great conversation! Always good to hear David's insights and knowledge as well as Lex's philosophy! Thanks!!! 3 Josh Herndon Josh Herndon 1 year ago Thank you for the amazing podcast Lex! As someone that loves philosophy, you should check out Stephen West’s podcast called “Philosophize This!”. It introduced me to the world of philosophy and is also one of the best podcasts I’ve ever listened to. 3 Dyllan W Dyllan W 1 year ago Outstanding as usual with David. Great podcast, thank you 1 William Clark William Clark 11 months ago "Speak for yourself, I want this public. Live streamed." Alright that was the best joke you have made so far Lex. Except like half of the whitney podcast holy shit. Keep it up robo joe. 5 Man Universe Man Universe 1 year ago This is a great conversation. Totally agree with David about enjoying life whenever you are immortalized or not. 2 jeff mcdonald jeff mcdonald 1 year ago Lex has become my favorite podcaster. Thank you Lex for contributing to make the world a better place. 3 Jeremy Liquidpsy Jeremy Liquidpsy 1 year ago (edited) nice! one of my favourite guests from JRE. nice to see him on your podcast :) 2 TeslaYRacer TeslaYRacer 1 year ago Absolutely amazing , Lex every time I listen to you I get inspired, great guest !! Thank you both so much ❤️🤙🏻🤘🏻👍🏻⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️ 1 Robert Schlesinger Robert Schlesinger 1 year ago Very interesting and worthwhile video. An often missed element helpful in longevity is being a careful person, avoiding life problems and medical problems, minimizing risk, avoiding foolish people that will jeopardize your welfare, and having a backup plan for life's situations making them failsafe. In short,, being careful and avoiding accidents goes along way to increasing life expectancy. 2 helen mary helen mary 5 months ago So much good! You guys are power plants for the planet....cheers, happy new years! SLM3573 SLM3573 1 year ago great podcast, I love listening to David even though it can be quite fruststrating sometimes as we all kind of expect him to come out with some miracle drug where we can live forever. Some really great advice. There is no need for fad training routines, diets etc its all designed to make the people selling them rich and wont help you. doja doja 1 year ago (edited) Awesome episode, as always. Dr. Sinclair is one of the coolest scientists out there. I'm waiting eagerly to see the fruits of his labour. 4 Lucy H Lucy H 5 months ago Really enjoyed this interview. Thank you Thai Jackson Thai Jackson 1 year ago Thank you for doing these interviews Lex! You guys are amazing humans! 1 BIGSUCC BIGSUCC 1 year ago YOUR QUALITY PODCAST IS EXTENDING MY LIFESPAN LEX, THANK YOU BABY 64 Drago PXRN Drago PXRN 11 months ago Great podcast!!! ❤️ 1 Brutus - Raf Brutus - Raf 11 months ago Great interview! I only miss the topic of overpopulation being discussed... 1 Chris Browne Chris Browne 1 year ago Lex, you've dropped some incredible content lately👏. I'd love to see a part 2 with your father when we hit episode #200, please upvote if you agree so he sees!! 4 Rosie Thompson Rosie Thompson 3 weeks ago For the last few months, I've been taking one tablet each day of NMN-Vitruvin Health supplement. I'm astounded to discover that my metabolism now functions as well as it did when I was a younger. Other outcomes aren't nearly as visible yet, but I saw a significant boost in energy and concentration. I'm going to order another few rounds from their website. It took around just 3-4 days to see a difference. Rodman Lu Rodman Lu 1 year ago Wow awesome interview Lex. Seen many interviews with Dr. Sinclair but you really killed it with this and got him to open up about much more, with your great questions and extensive research. 1 Jeremiah Cook Jeremiah Cook 5 months ago (edited) Lex, awesome guest and great interview skills. At minute 57:45 David says this more or less, I shortened it a bit [begin paraphrasing — The best bang for the longevity buck is to do both well, eat less often and eat the right things . You gotta live life , what’s a long life if it’s not enjoyable . So indo have a dessert now and then. But anyway… The data says that plant based foods will be better than meat based foods. He also says a lot of people may disagree with him but … —end paraphrasing] Now my family (that loves your content) wants you to stop the carnivore diet. We are thinking you haven’t gone vegan yet, if we are wrong , correct us please. We think you should go mostly vegan or all the way vegan. So many people are following you now and you have an opportunity to change people for the better. Please give veganism another chance if you have already tried and failed. Hire a chef, we think you can afford it. You can do this. There are so many people with active lifestyles that are vegan. I’m not saying you will be a better athlete and you will feel better but my bet is you can be the same athlete and feel just as good. You can do this. If the future of humanity is multi planetary(seems to be something you are excited about talking about) then are we gonna grow animals to eat them on those other planets? Seems a bit difficult and wasteful. Not to mention the extra suffering involved. You are a brilliant person and maybe you are right and we (including David Sinclair) are wrong. I don’t know for sure. But… One idea, work with David Sinclair on a plan and a time period to collect all your biological data in your current state of eating. Then go vegan for whatever time period David recommends and collect the data for that time period. You can keep the calories and protein levels the same and maybe keep the number of times a day eating the same . Then have David analyze it and tell you what has improved or not and how it affects your biological age . Maybe you can prove David’s eating style wrong. Or maybe you can prove the carnivore diet is actually bad for aging. Who knows but my bet is that David is doing what is right. He seems to be a biological genius and wants to live a long healthy life. I guess to really prove anything you need lots of data. But what if the data says carnivore and vegan have same results? Well if that is the answer then just go with vegan to save the planet and the animals. I’m pretty sure going vegan is not worse for your body , or else David wouldn’t be doing it. You can always cheat a little but go mostly plant based . Anyway, it would be cool to see you talk more about something like this. But no matter what, we won’t stop listening to your interviews, best thing on YouTube in my opinion. Keep up the great work!! František Prokopec František Prokopec 6 months ago A phenomenal conversation. John Felix John Felix 1 year ago Amazing interview Lex! Learned a lot with it. 2 Red Pill Lense Red Pill Lense 1 year ago Anytime Dr. David Sinclair speaks, I listen! He is extremely bright and a good soul. God bless him for advancing the field of aging for us. 3 Chris Chris 11 months ago Amazing! I had that poem on a height wallchart when I was a kid (but in the present tense). Never knew it was A.A.Milne! João Farias João Farias 1 year ago Would love to see Dr. Valter Longo on the podcast. A professional guitar player turned longevity and diet expert. Would be awesome to see 👌 9 samuelec samuelec 1 year ago Beautiful interview, thank you both 2 Ha Le Ha Le 8 months ago Great interview. Andrew Huberman had a specialist guest on recently too who said there is no evidence that fasing is effective! So maybe it would be good to have more information as to why fasting is so effective not just saying it has been done by people for thousands of years. No matter, still one of the best interviews I have seen on any podcast. V Babbitt V Babbitt 1 year ago This is perfect timing, very excited to watch. Thank you Lex!! 2 Underzero Underzero 1 year ago (edited) Well, i almost never comment on videos, but the topics and content of this podcast #189 with David Sinclair were amazing. I really enjoy this types of talks regarding human biology integrated tech, and how we can improved our health based on that concept and data. Hope to see more talks like this one in the future. I thank both for the great work ! 1 Mark Suddens Mark Suddens 1 year ago Glad you are finally going there with this (and hopefully other related) topics around extending healthy human lifespan Thanks Lex 1 chrishenderson420 chrishenderson420 1 year ago I can see Lex becoming the top podcaster in the world in a few years. Great guest. 43 deb smith deb smith 8 months ago what a role model we have in him. i am trying to encourage my grand to get into science. we need more humans like him. 1 Ana Hirsch-Toth Ana Hirsch-Toth 10 months ago Thank you for the lively and intelligent interview. Congratulations to both of you. The Renaissance Piper The Renaissance Piper 1 year ago Lex, this is one of the most profound conversations I’ve ever witnessed! 1 chribjslaha chribjslaha 1 year ago I've been waiting on this one. Mad respect to Lex and David 1 Dennis Katinas Dennis Katinas 1 year ago Lex, David, you both operate on the level where I’d like to be. This conversation embodies so much of my goals and practices. I can do it for hours, sometimes a few days, but I have a long way to go making it a constant stream. Yet, being right here doing these things, it feels like being at the forefront with you guys. It feels like support. Thank you both. Ese of Epe Ese of Epe 11 months ago Hapoy birthday Dr. Sinclair. Happy to be watching this today. 3 rita the cat rita the cat 1 year ago Lex is getting good at these interviews. It's almost as if he's learned his best to approximate human emotions! Woody Sprott Woody Sprott 1 year ago 👍 Great discussion, very informative & interesting! 1 Matt Clarkson Matt Clarkson 5 months ago I've always thought that the conversation at the end about death perfectly sums up why humans created religion... to help accept & cope with death... musikinspace musikinspace 5 months ago David Sinclair: We've now finally found out how to reverse the biological clock. Normal person: OMG, really? What's the secret? Lex Friedmann: Alright but tell me about protein folding tommyr tommyr 1 year ago This was such a great podcast Lex, I hope we see more regarding this topic! 1 cryptout cryptout 1 year ago This is the most interesting episode i’ve seen so far. Great interaction and so much information I feel I need to learn more of! 3 GALILEO GALILEO 1 year ago (edited) I think it's really worth mentioning Lex' improvement as an interviewer. I LOVED his philosophical rants while giving his guest a break in speaking and thinking. Really professional! 🙏🏼💯 Blaise Dahl Blaise Dahl 1 year ago No way! I just got his book “Lifespan” and was watching some clips when he was on JRE. Been trying to find more recent videos of him. What are the odds? 7 Benjamin James Benjamin James 1 year ago putting out bangers Lex! Thank you!!!! 2 Taras Panamarev Taras Panamarev 1 year ago That was an awesome episode! As always :-) 1 Maxim Egorushkin Maxim Egorushkin 1 month ago (edited) Playing noise changed my life, thank you for sharing, Lex. In Linux one can play noise offline: sudo apt install sox play -c2 -r44.1k -b8 -n synth pinknoise 50 lowpass -1 750 Make sure to specify -r44.1k -b8 for 8-bit 44.1kHz noise, otherwise it plays 32-bit 48kHz (whatever the best your hardware can do), which drains your Bluetooth headset battery a few times faster. -c2 for stereo noise, which I find more immersive than mono. Rotor Blade Rotor Blade 10 months ago (edited) Btw at the beginning of the discussion the question are we the same we were when we were children? I thought about it and came to the conclusion that there may be no identity continuity in time. What if every moment of time the brain simply generates a conscious instance with an unique identity? Imagine making an instant copy of yourself. Then each copy will feel as if it is the same person it was since childhood but the copy can’t have the same identity. So the continuity is simply an illusion because the brain generates a conscious instance based on the information it has and the information is stored from previous experiences. Anyway idk, even if it’s an illusion it’s still better to preserve the thread, I still want people to live longer and healthier Also as David talked about bringing back of Benjamin Franklin, o copy of him would be actually indistinguishable and virtual the same thing as the real human since we may actually copies of a previous moment in time Jennifer Strahan Jennifer Strahan 6 days ago Lex, I hear you about the doctors but in my experience that is only the doctors that work within the current American insurance system. A few years ago I was frustrated with how dismissive I felt my doctor was so I found a private medical practice focused on wellness that does not take insurance, it is all self pay. They are incredibly attentive and will order ALL the bloodwork. Since I started going there my health and subsequently proformance and looks have improved. My profile pic is recent, no filters and I am 41 so they are doing a great job. Fortuntely they are not expensive either at $80/visit plus the cost of the few prescriptions which my actual insurance does cover for the most part. My insurance also covers the bloodwork they order, it does not cover the supplements I take which I think is penny wise, dollar foolish of insurance companies. Anyway my point being at this present moment in the US there is excellent healthcare for those who can afford it that is based on a wellness model not a sick model. My doctor orders bloodwork every 6 months and I see them every 6 weeks as I have to be monitored for BP for one optional proformance enhancing RX. While it sounds terrible it is only for those that can afford it now, having fewer barriers, one being cost, can be over come over time. At least these things exist. TheDude TheDude 1 year ago 48:30 When Lex cracks a joke its so unexpected, I think I woke my neighbour laughing. 16 cherisun1 cherisun1 11 months ago First of all Lex I want to thank you for sharing your conversations with such amazing brilliant people. In reference to time stamp 5:30.. This made the hair on my neck stand up as tears rolled down my face. I wanted to share my thoughts.. I do believe that all human suffering is caused by wanting thing to be different then what they are, we're always wanting what we can't have. I believe this is a huge reason for our grief, unwilling to except the death as it is reality. A part of me would give my life to bring back my lost loved one "artificial or not" as another part of me questions the moral concept of this. I believe only mentally stable people could enjoy this for what it is "science". With all of this being said I'd like to add that I'm a mother that lost my 14 year old son 3 years ago. I dropped my son off at a sleep over at a friend's house and that boy decided to play with a gun... He shot my son in the chest. I do believe a huge part of moving forward with such a loss is in accepting it. As such a science would interfere with that natural process. Looking forward to many more of your talks and thank you for letting me share! 2 Varun Varun 7 months ago Great episode.. thanks a lot 🙏 Samuel George Samuel George 8 months ago Great work Lex!! Kenny Bush Kenny Bush 1 year ago From: Shawbay I think you are amazing! You can achieve the unthinkable,hope to share in your journey and add input whenever needed for possible outcomes! Thank you! James Conley James Conley 1 year ago Love ya Lex thank you for providing an amazing forum for thinkers 1 Connaissances Sans Frontières Connaissances Sans Frontières 1 year ago What a beautiful interview Thank you gentlemen 6 TheDude TheDude 1 year ago A brilliant conversation between 2 brilliant men, this was an absolute joy to listen to. 1 KD Counseling KD Counseling 1 year ago I try to explain feeling the same as I did when I was younger all the time. I don’t think many people feel this way. 1 Robert Jules Young Robert Jules Young 6 months ago I read the book, and using the pills for the last 6 months, and I'll continue doing so for at least 5 more years, or till I die. I use about 25 pills a day, mostly vitamins and minerals, plus my regular stuff for high blood pressure etc. I'm planning to live over 100. let's see how it works out for me.... Rahul Rahul 1 year ago It's as though you read my mind with the guests you have, your podcast is mind-blowingly good RTeezy RTeezy 1 year ago amazing episode! I really liked sinclair on rogan aswell, very well spoken and super informative 👌 2 Rishu Kumar Singh Rishu Kumar Singh 1 year ago Wow. Was just hoping that he would call David and boom it's in my recommendation. Thanks LEXU 49 jperin001 jperin001 1 year ago I feel the same way Lex. Stay young. You and your guests crystalize my thoughts. Keep on doing what you do. 1 Arlene Portsmouth Arlene Portsmouth 10 months ago 👏YES!!! 48 minutes in and I am convinced that Lex is a genius! 🏆 4 Sven Sorg Sven Sorg 1 year ago So excited to hear from david again! And now even on my favourite 1 mikelCold mikelCold 1 year ago He says things like this is normal. This is insane. Great interview! 1 Michael Trapp Michael Trapp 1 year ago Brilliant conversation. Will remember this for a long time. Thanks! msanto msanto 1 year ago The quote to end this was so perfectly timed and brought th conversation so perfectly full circle. Marc-Olivier Lemay Marc-Olivier Lemay 1 year ago Thank you so much to both of you for doing this Mike McCloskey Mike McCloskey 1 year ago Sounds like what I wrote about in "The Created" where artificial agents attempt to remake their creator after he is gone. 10 Eriksson Eriksson 1 year ago Thank you for putting timestamps on your videos 🙏 1 test test 11 months ago ..or we could be thankful that we live in an age where we have the privilege to be the guests of an incredibly inspiring conversation like this. When I grew up, the equivalent was a talk show host asking a celebrity what their favourite colour is. 1 Solitude92 Solitude92 1 year ago Great talk, I didn't want this one to end. 1 Frances Torrey Sirdevan Frances Torrey Sirdevan 11 months ago Hey Lex if you're obsessed with the protein folding problem, you should interview Dr. David Baker at the University of Washington. He's solved it and is epic!! 1 Nanul Savage Nanul Savage 1 year ago I’ve probably watched most of David’s interviews and one question that still remains is the following... He says it’s important when you eat rather than what you eat. Is the “when” benefit based on calorie restriction or fasting? Once a day is a benefit because you didn’t eat for 23 hours or because you consumed less calories? Since he mentions liquids through the day, I maybe can assume it’s not fasting, rather calorie restriction. But then a question arises, if I’m eating 500 calories per day, so as much as a meal has, does it matter if I eat 200 in late afternoon and 300 in couple of more hours? I wish I had a precise answer for this. I have no problem fasting long term and see the benefits, but I wonder what’s the main benefit of the once a day eating from his studies. 1 StuntmanDAN StuntmanDAN 1 year ago I had this tab open for a few days until I had the ability to give it my full undivided attention and boy am I glad. 3 Durks Garage Durks Garage 1 year ago Amazing episode!! Keep up the great work! Salman Salman 1 year ago This was absolutely incredible! 1 Gary Swift Gary Swift 1 year ago Wow, that part about eating one HEALTHY meal a day is something I accidentally discovered over the past 10 years. BTW, I'm the same age as Dr. Sinclair, and I look as young as he does. That explains so much about my health situation. I've actually been a little worried about why it makes me feel bleh when I eat more. - Thanks Lex. Keep up the good work. Morton Fizzback Morton Fizzback 1 year ago Aubrey de Grey would be a great guest, he was also an AI researcher before switching to biogerotology research 2 J.D. Bradley J.D. Bradley 1 year ago You rock, Lex. Keep up the good work my friend. 1 SRIIDHAR SRIIDHAR 1 year ago Damn bro, glad I found you from chain-link subreddit. You're inviting the most bomb guests 💯🤩 7 dondeezy271 dondeezy271 1 year ago I really enjoyed this episode. David is very encouraging and motivating. Tobiasz Kowalski Tobiasz Kowalski 1 year ago "I want it public, live-streamed". Made my day xD 4 Lukula Magnus Lukula Magnus 3 months ago Great stuff .U used to bike a lot and play squash upto my 30s. I ate once a day then. Now I'm finding my way back. This podcast is a good guide 🥺🤣😃💪. Da. Lex🥂 Andre Steiner Andre Steiner 11 months ago I truly appreciated the podcast and all your (both) philosophical points of view about life… it has been truly an honor… thanks and give us more 2 Chuckie Chocolate Chuckie Chocolate 1 year ago Seems like a very nice, down to earth Gentleman. Thanks for sharing man. Appreciate you. 1 peter malmgren peter malmgren 8 months ago Wired to not get it is absolutely amazing it’s right that’s the part I needed it get. Now it’s making more sense. Thanks for your input Andrew Kinnear Andrew Kinnear 1 year ago Lex, love your work mate, I would love to pick your brain on your ML experience, would love to see a slightly more in depth technical stuff on your pod cast, but I'm a coder so I would wouldn't I. Just would love to hear your opinion on things like Julia's Symbolic library for instance. please please please? Sujit Manoharan Sujit Manoharan 1 year ago " one of my friends in LA cloned his dog three times " . Shoutout to you friend, I would definitely do that xD 10 Jenny Andrievna Jenny Andrievna 1 year ago Question for anybody: Do the EMFs from wearables have an adverse effect on the body? Every night, I try to shut down devices near me with the aim of a better night's rest. Thank you for any thoughts. Eduard Blackbeard Eduard Blackbeard 1 year ago Great podcast. I have 100 more questions now. Pulling all nighters for my passion for Diablo since D2! Nothing wrong with that xD Lucas Ortiz Lucas Ortiz 1 year ago Thank you for another wonderful conversation 💫🧠 1 hi hi 10 months ago David, such an important figure of this century 1 Fabi an Fabi an 10 months ago I wish I could translate this into a shopping list of products, supplements, technology products and more, 1 Starclimber Starclimber 1 year ago Don't get him on twitter...hahahahahah! Excellent talk, gentlemen, and thank you! 4 Gil Fiazon Gil Fiazon 2 weeks ago 55:00 The nuance here is that feeling good is a subjective term and changes based on the time of day, activity at hand, mood, etc. Pasta will not make me feel good if I’m about to be required to do a lot of physical work. On the other hand, if I’ve accomplished what I need to do for the day and I go for a nice dinner and enjoy a bunch of pasta it makes me feel very relaxed and gives me a great sleep. In that sense, it does make me feel good. I think the key is not to eliminate things you enjoy but to enjoy them at the right time. On Dray On Dray 1 year ago That was a great refresher on David’s book. There is already an Australian device that can sample a saliva swab and provide very accurate Covid test results in 15 minutes. Telemedicine is definitely going to be a huge industry. What’s going to happen to the GP experience? 123 123 123 123 1 year ago (edited) the last lines were wonderful, David Sinclair is a living legend Jordan Boulais-Richard Jordan Boulais-Richard 1 year ago (edited) The reason why I am going in bioinformatic! Great conversation! martin martin 1 year ago this was one of the most interesting interviews, congrats! also, Diablo3 ? good game! 1 Cryo Chamber Cryo Chamber 1 year ago Brown noise is interesting, but definitely check out Dark Ambient music as well, lots of writers and creatives use it to great effect 161 NJ 2 NJ 2 4 months ago David eerily reminds me of Dr. Bruce Banner. I'm waiting for him to get mad and watch him turn into a green hulk. Great talk.

No comments: