Monday, July 25, 2022

Jules Massenet - Meditation from Thais for Violin and Piano 3,637,028 viewsApr 10, 2016

Jules Massenet - Meditation from Thais for Violin and Piano 3,637,028 viewsApr 10, 2016 Rusanda Panfili 69.4K subscribers Violin - Rusanda Panfili Piano - Donka Angatscheva Recorded live in Bank Austria Salon, Vienna 17.03.2016 Support my future videos and my art through Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rusandapanfili 1,393 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Ellen Munger Ellen Munger 4 years ago This beautiful piece was often played by my father who was a violin player, He played this at all three of our( daughters) weddings. I surprised my dad and played it for mom and dads 50th wedding anniversary on my flute. Now that dad is gone, when I do play it or just hear others playing it, I cry alot. It is sooo beautiful! 2.3K PoisonIvyLeague PoisonIvyLeague 2 years ago Absolutely beautiful. I watched with my daughters (1.5 year old and 3.5 year old) and they were in awe. My older daughter asked, “why are her eyes closed?” And I explained it’s because she is playing with her heart and soul. A very touching moment with my girls and this music. What life is all about. 330 hanrolav H hanrolav H 2 months ago (edited) When I was a boy in a small Asian country, at age 10 years, this piece of music was featured at the end of a radio drama series. I did not know the name of this piece. But I liked it so much I would listen until the very end every night. Now, at age 65, I finally know the name of the composition. Brings back lots of nostalgic moments. 65 Donna Dobkin Donna Dobkin 5 years ago This was performed at my brother's funeral last week by two fellow musicians. He too was a violinist and this piece was such an emotional tribute to the beauty of his life and his music. This performance is exquisite. 755 Susan Waldrop Susan Waldrop 3 years ago If you cannot feel the passion, the heart, the spirit within and the love these two beautiful ladies give their best to this timeless beauty of a piece, then open your heart for this is class. 181 João Antonio Bonatti João Antonio Bonatti 5 years ago HOW COULD WE SURVIVE WITHOUT THIS KIND OF MUSIC !!! 330 julie g julie g 1 year ago no words to describe....i lost my husband of 45 years in the summer and when i listen, it reminds me of all the years we spent together. Delightful. 66 Epicgamer13 Epicgamer13 1 year ago Amazing, I know my name doesn’t make me seem like I’m a violin player but I am. I have probably listened to this video over 100 times within 3 days. I am doing this solo and have been using your video to help me. I’m no where near this good yet. I’m planning on going to state for the third year in a row. Thank you for your help! 57 William Caloia William Caloia 5 days ago This was my Mother-in-law's favourite piece to play. in the mid 1930', she was Concertmistress for the New York womens; Symphony Orchestra 2 Therese Gasser Therese Gasser 5 years ago Meditation for Thais has one of the most beautiful solos ever written in history. Jules, You've created something so unique, yet so magestic and wonderful. 308 Mika Mika 2 years ago If I sounded this good I'd probably play crying 403 Thais Gregorio Thais Gregorio 4 years ago This is so beautiful. I'm named after this music 146 Elizabeth Elizabeth 4 years ago (edited) I am 12 and I am learning this right now. Listening to this has helped me learn it. Thank you so much. P. S. I do not play this as good as you though. Edit: thank you for all the likes. This is the most likes I've gotten 252 Peter Dufek Peter Dufek 7 days ago Can,t believe that at 75 years of age beautiful Violin music still makes tears roll down my cheeks ❤️ 1 LAURA-ANN CHARLOT LAURA-ANN CHARLOT 1 year ago (edited) How could 775 people have "disliked" this? Itzak Perlman's performance of this piece, with a symphony orchestra behind him, is not less perfect or less beautiful than this duet. I have listened to the Meditation from Thais at least a couple of hundred times, and this performance still has me crying; it is almost too beautiful, too emotional, for me to bear. 38 Kathleen Navas Kathleen Navas 6 years ago I have to perform this tomorrow and she is totally my inspiration 28 Rosabella Tormis Rosabella Tormis 1 year ago this brings me back to my childhood days when .my elder brother would play this piece on his violin while my elder sister would accompany him on the piano. it was so magical...enchanting 7 Reginna Francois Reginna Francois 4 years ago 1:01 Oh my goodness, shivers down my back every time. I try to emulate this part of the performance as I try to learn it myself. And right from the get-go your face looks so in the mood, so passionate, I found myself immediately entranced. Amazing performance, thank you!! ❤ 36 Tachyon Tachyon 2 years ago I asked some friends to listen to this piece and they said “oh it’s classical music? Must be boring then” and I nearly ripped their throats out How dare they??? 350 Gingieandskye Gingieandskye 1 year ago I don't have a lot of knowledge about classical music but I love this piece. I heard it many years ago with my Mom and she knew it but couldn't recall the name at that time. After she passed away I always hoped I would hear it again. Now I know what it is and it brings me great comfort and memories of my Mom. This is a beautiful performance. Thank you. 19 Mickeyislowd Mickeyislowd 1 year ago This is the best version I ever listened to. Such a wonderful and beautiful sound especially on the G string. Just stunning:) 10 LeonsViolinChannel LeonsViolinChannel 5 years ago How could anyone dislike this? 291 fae fae 2 years ago woah, so this is the song that I used to listen to as a child when I was taking naps. I still remember the CD had a yellow flower on it and it would go in my pink cd player and i'd always skip to this song... its magical. 46 Roberto Oliveira Roberto Oliveira 1 month ago Magnífica apresentação. JackBlast JackBlast 11 months ago This piece brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. Your rendition is exquisite. Thank you. 10 Kevin Shulhan Kevin Shulhan 4 years ago (edited) Rusanda. My favorite part of this video is of your face. FEELING the love and the PAIN that is expressed in this piece of music. That I FEEL when ever I hear it performed as beautifully as you did, here. 13 Valter Guisard Valter Guisard 4 months ago (edited) Essa musica tocou em meu casamento em 13.03.1971 Ficamos casados até 22.12.2014, quando uma Leucemia a levou. Tivemos 3 filhos, 2 moças e um rapaz. Sempre ouço.. Passa um filme em minha cabeça A cada apresentação fico.mais triste . . . 6 anh thai anh thai 9 months ago (edited) The recital room is very beautiful. 2 Al Com Al Com 1 month ago It's so beautiful, the violin started crying. 😭 CosmicPharaoh99 CosmicPharaoh99 3 days ago (edited) Who else is here because of the Caretaker's A Stairway to the Stars? It's a very interesting album, and another project by the Caretaker, called Everywhere at the End of Time, which is the magnum opus of the Caretaker, is absolutely beautiful in a heartbreaking way. Charlee Xiong Charlee Xiong 3 years ago I love how the violin compels the eyes to express one's emotion. Truly powerful. Violin tickles the eyebrows whereas piano tickles the ears. They compliment each other magnificently 17 Jubiel Halasz Jubiel Halasz 2 years ago The beauty, the sublime beauty. The sound is one that might rouse the darkest hearts, and if all else fails, represent some sliver of hope for this world. 7 Kevin Kose Kevin Kose 3 months ago Stunning! Thanks to Donka on the might Fazioli piano, too! 1 J P J P 5 years ago Just wow your playing is incredibly expressive and emotionally moving, it's like you're able to transmit the emotion your feeling straight into the heart of the listener. How lucky those people were to be there in that room! I've listened to a lot of violin this year and this is right up there with the best I've heard. Thank you for uploading these :) 56 Besty Besty 6 months ago This was played at my grandads funeral yesterday, hadn't heard it in so long. Such a beautiful piece of music. I will always remember this song. I will always remember my Grandad. I'll see you again one day xx pnojazz pnojazz 4 years ago Bio - Rusanda Panfili was born 1988 in Chisinau, Moldova. She started her violin studies in Bucharest, and the age of 11 she became one of the youngest students at the Conservatory of Music and Arts in Vienna, Austria. She won her first international competition in Italy at the age of 10 and with the wonderful guidance from her teacher, well known Russian violinist, Alexander Arenkow, Rusanda earned other numerous national and international prizes such as “Rodolfo Lipizer” and “Luis Spohr”, as well the “Herbert von Karajan” and “Yamaha” scholarships. In November, 2015, Rusanda finished her “Master of Arts” studies at the University of Music and Arts Vienna. 35 hazlitt1 hazlitt1 9 months ago (edited) It saddens me that we humans are capable of such love and beauty, can at the same time inflict such suffering and pain of wars on our fellow humans. If it wasn’t for artists like you Rusanda, it would be a world of only sorrow. Thank you for being you. 4 Oasis - Relaxation & Meditation Oasis - Relaxation & Meditation 2 days ago Beautiful and relaxing. Shin-i-chi Kozima Shin-i-chi Kozima 1 year ago My ears are discerning , so I know how wonderful Rusanda's performance is From Tokyo of the Land of the Rising Sun 🇯🇵 10 yu chunhua yu chunhua 2 months ago Beautiful playing a true masterpiece Geralda Maria Silva Geralda Maria Silva 3 months ago Magnífica! Genial!!! Wild Iris Wild Iris 2 weeks ago Your rendition truly was the one that felt soulful, heartfelt, but gentle enough not to frighten an anxious patient into a panic attack. Derwentcub Derwentcub 1 year ago I could despair that anyone could possibly dislike this... The world is indeed a sadder place. 4 Eduardo Medrano Eduardo Medrano 1 month ago She is extremely talented...you can feel how she breathes with her 🎻 violin... Doraci Arashiro Doraci Arashiro 2 months ago Maravilhosa! Rosario Albarran Rosario Albarran 3 years ago Es la mejor violinista a la que he escuchado, disfruto en youtube y admiro mucho. Magistral melodía, con mucho sentimiento. Thaís Thaís 9 months ago (edited) I feel proud of my name because of this song. So beautiful! 2 Mariano Martin Mariano Martin 3 years ago Increíble el talento de Rusanda Panfili. Angela Smith Angela Smith 5 years ago So very beautiful - both pianist and soloist! 19 John Markis John Markis 11 months ago The most beautiful music I have ever heard in my life serenity flies serenity flies 1 year ago Angels are playing! I remember training in ICU, in a major city hospital, when we received the news that one of our lecturers at Uni, had committed suicide. He was in charge of the Accident and Emergency room, at the hospital I was training in, and he took his own life there. His staff found him hours later, in a toilet no one used. His lectures were funny and entertaining, so one would remember them more easily. He never gave any indication he was depressed, not unusual. His name was Michael, I was studying at home at the time, when I got the phone call about Michaels demise. As it happened, this was playing, meditation de Thai. I always tear up when I hear it. Holy Father, I pray Michaels soul is at rest with you in Heaven, please forgive his sins, and protect him under your almighty wings. I pray his son and family are doing well, and are happy and blessed. Through Christ Our Lord, Amen RIP Michael, it was a long time ago, but you are remembered with love!! 💕💖 4 ELLCO ARROYO IZARRA ELLCO ARROYO IZARRA 7 months ago Great Rusanda Panfili, and excellent interpretation that touches the senses. Rubens Rubio chuba Rubens Rubio chuba 8 months ago Quanto tempo demorará para aparecer outro assim......obrigado Jules manesene...... Adonis de Oliveira Adonis de Oliveira 7 months ago UMAS DAS MUSICAS MAIS LINDAS SE NAO A MAIS LINDA, 1 Nicolette Paul Nicolette Paul 6 years ago what an amazing sound! absolutely beautiful 50 estomatologos estomatologos 3 years ago Una obra tan sublime merece un lugar con mejor acústica que este salón Rosey Rosey 9 months ago I love this piece and you play it really well I'm hoping to get a new carbon violin soon , I want to play that piece , I used to play it sometimes ☺️💧💙🌧️ bobluhrs bobluhrs 1 year ago So peaceful, undisturbed, and welcoming. Thank you. 1 Shin-i-chi Kozima Shin-i-chi Kozima 10 months ago (edited) This masterpiece is the lullaby of mankind , and the cradle of human soul gently cradled by Rusanda and Donka Николай Слонов Николай Слонов 9 months ago в этом исполнение есть движение и полетность звука и пение на инструменте как у ТА Докшицера Derek Xiao Derek Xiao 4 years ago what's wrong with the dress?????? I don't get it. My heart was about to jump out of my chest from how insanely beautiful this was and some people have the time to criticize perfectly fine clothing? 570 Linda Bredow Linda Bredow 2 weeks ago Absolutely beautiful. She plays with such passion. Liz Emer Tobin Liz Emer Tobin 1 month ago 💗💗💗💗 my soul aches when I hear this, I turn inward and tears fall ....I don't know how else to describe how I feel when I hear this.... matías rodrigo lavin cruz matías rodrigo lavin cruz 5 years ago Magnífica interpretación John Francis John Francis 1 year ago Simply magnificent, thank you 1 Karen Briggs Karen Briggs 7 months ago I love this! Bravo! 1 J K J K 2 years ago I always wonder how these musical geniuses were able to craft such masterpieces when considering the era in which they lived? Was it because there were less distractions? Jules, thanks for this beautiful masterpiece...! 11 Weier Outta Here ✈️ Weier Outta Here ✈️ 1 year ago Just beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. 1 evangeline manjares evangeline manjares 10 months ago You are an elegant lady playing this beautiful piece. You touch everybody’s heart. Thank you. PIANISSIMO PIANISSIMO 1 year ago maravilhoso Ronald Miller Ronald Miller 3 years ago Lovely performance of a beautiful piece of music and one of my favourite compositions. Wonderfully sympathetic piano accompaniment from Donka. Never mind the ill informed comments about the dresses (which are gorgeous by the way). You dress however the hell you like. When you're that accomplished a musician it's your privilege. Thank you ladies and well done. 5 Alex Delarge Alex Delarge 2 years ago Absolutely beautiful performance. Thank you. 1 Colin Arundel Colin Arundel 5 years ago Beautifully performed brought me to tears of course 114 David Geraci David Geraci 2 months ago Listening to this is up there as one of the most beautiful thing on Earth!! Richard Waples Richard Waples 6 months ago This piece I put on par with Debussy's Claire de Lune and Saint-Saens' The Swan. A triumvirate of profound artistry, the very highest order of human achievement. My tears flow from the first bar. John Burgess John Burgess 1 year ago Rusanda Panfili , thank you for something so unimaginably beautiful... the music , your dress , makeup , the room , your accompanist ...just everything...so lovely. 2 William Eloi William Eloi 4 years ago Música e interpretação maravilhosas 2 Roberto Barrancas Roberto Barrancas 1 year ago !Simplemente exquisito! Marcela Marcela 2 years ago 🌹Very nice... 👏👄🔥 These muzic is in my heart forever and my eyes crying. Thank you, my dear laydies. With sincerely, Marcela 11 dan ohyeah dan ohyeah 3 years ago If people knew classical music like this exists they wouldn't say classical music is boring. 1 CA SIDEMEN CA SIDEMEN 3 years ago I am learning this at the moment - I am 11 and this has really inspired me. I do not understand the fuss about the dress as this made me feel like I was in heaven! 6 Edwin Firmage Edwin Firmage 1 year ago Thank you for the beautiful performance. It's ironic that some should focus on the dress, given that the Meditation comes from an opera that is itself a meditation on eros and beauty. 2 Yvonne M. Alfano Yvonne M. Alfano 12 days ago Emocionei 😥👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿 James Geer James Geer 3 years ago Beautiful.....both the music and the artist. Perfection. 8 C. L. Avery C. L. Avery 5 years ago So beautiful! I am the author of the novel "Mary Full of Grace" and I mentioned this particular song in the story. It is the secret song that cements the spiritual connection between the protagonist, Mary Celeste, and her secret lover, Rupert. Your rendition is the most beautiful I could find! 22 Thais Granda Thais Granda 1 year ago This is really moving, I'm on tears and plus the fact that my name is actually Thais makes it fells like this is more personal, but returning to the point. This performance is perfect 2 S Jordan S Jordan 5 months ago Beautifully performed, thank you. You reminded me of my daughter's violin teacher, Kathleen Ash Barraclough. When she played this piece it brought tears to my eyes. Though she is now in 'another world' her legacy lives on in my daughter and other students. The music dies, but the melody never dies. You touched my soul! 4 Guillermo Sanchez Guillermo Sanchez 2 years ago Preciosa... la melodía, un encanto angelical.. y las damas, sensacionales.. preciosas por naturalezas y más con los vestuarios e instrumentos..!!! Woow!! Gracias por existir... Saludos desde Tapachula, Chiapas, México!!👏👏👏👍 idalete Giga idalete Giga 8 months ago La Musique nous transforme pour comprende l´Infini. Excelente interprétation! Anne3ful Anne3ful 6 months ago La perfection est de ce monde ! Absolument magnifique !💗 Pete Totaro Pete Totaro 4 years ago (edited) Most Beautiful of all that ever played the violin to Meditation! Her artistic mastery is unbelievable! 53 Stefan Goncharov Stefan Goncharov 1 year ago The first notes of the melody remind me of Chopin's Nocturne in D flat major 1 LadyCroMag BuntCitch LadyCroMag BuntCitch 4 years ago I watch this beautiful performance of beautiful women playing this beautiful song, and I embrace the beautiful experience, again, and again, and again, on a regular basis!!! It is indeed, meditation!!! 5 Glamourbiker12 Glamourbiker12 5 years ago (edited) I first learned this piece when I was 12 and it is MY FAVORITE PIECE to play (though I never sound THIS good). You have brought its beauty out to its fullest potential! Incredible! p.s. I need that gown in my life 101 David Martinez David Martinez 3 years ago Cómo puede haber tanto arte en una cara de ángel? Colin Arundel Colin Arundel 5 years ago Some being critical of the ladies dresses. I am human and a mere man 83 years old so being able to swim in their beauty while their music caressed my ears and soul was unbelievable joy 579 Rusanda Panfili Shin-i-chi Kozima Shin-i-chi Kozima 4 years ago Exquisite performance!Hypnotizing play . Alluring melody 7 John Markis John Markis 11 months ago My father adored this piece and my daughter played this on her violin at her Milton Academy graduation for me Jose Vanoni Jose Vanoni 4 years ago Una melodía y un violín que llenan el corazón John Burgess John Burgess 1 year ago Everything is so beautiful....violinist, the Meditation , the venue , pianist , even the evening dresses...Fabulous !!! Anonymous Anonymity Anonymous Anonymity 2 years ago First violin player who was a senior played this my freshman year in high school, I didn’t have the same appreciation for music back then and I hated the piece because what I did as a viola accompaniment was boring but this is a gorgeous piece 4 For Ps For Ps 6 months ago Suspiro de tanta belleza , tanta hermosura ... Zi Leite Zi Leite 11 months ago Que linda interpretação.🎼🎼 4 Justkaz Justkaz 5 months ago Words could never truly describe how amazing this is, but "divine" would be a start. Thank you for sharing! 1 pablo del aguila pablo del aguila 1 year ago música increible que genera muchos recuerdos Esmeralda 25 Esmeralda 25 5 years ago this music will be as peaceful as forever......... 2 mdilga mdilga 4 years ago Amazing!!!! I love your play so much Elijah J-L Elijah J-L 2 months ago This is so beautiful. Thank you for the stunning experience! 1 Prescilla Zuniga Prescilla Zuniga 2 years ago My 19 year old Grandson played on his violin as a surprise number on my 70 th Birthday In May 2019. I never heard him play this seriously but I knew he was a member of his high school orchestra in Stuttgart, Germany. When the first few notes wafted in the air , silence fell. . The calmness and sweetness of the music caught everybody in awe. I didn’t want to spoil my make up , but I did. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. I brought me back when he was in middle school and told me me that wanted to join the school orchestra in Virginia Beach, .. His instrument of choice, VIOLIN. . I flew in from LAX. to personally deliver his first Yamaha violin. Thank you, O’shaun for making my birthday a memorable one. 5 Jack Mcgregor Jack Mcgregor 3 months ago The sheer beauty of this…….no words can do justice to what this sound brings into the world. 🥹 1 Giorgio Nieddu Giorgio Nieddu 2 years ago (edited) Molto brava..grande .intensitâ e bel suono....🎶🎵🎶🎵💕 1 Zhang Guiyu Zhang Guiyu 5 years ago Panfili's Vibrato is silky, gradual, smooth 163 James Marchment James Marchment 8 months ago Hearing this paragon of Adages now, I picture a talented, lovely W.A. Academy student, Nicole Tsapazi, in an impeccably choreographed pas seul, taking first prize, 15 & Under division, at the inaugural Australian R.A.D Eisteddfod. Esther Rosal Esther Rosal 1 year ago So beautiful indeed !!! I can listen to it all night ... The Lady Alluring The Lady Alluring 5 years ago So beautiful...brought a little tears to my eyes... :) 16 Chill_D0ge Chill_D0ge 6 months ago I don't often say this about classical music, but this brings a tear to my eye- 1 Christine Kitchens Christine Kitchens 1 year ago This rendition is absolutely beautiful. Many excellent violinists and cellists play this with emotion and finesse. I have listened to many artists and I cry evertime. This music is what LOVE sounds like. E C E C 3 years ago Beautiful performance by both ladies! 1 Angela Carossini Angela Carossini 1 year ago En el idioma me faltan palabras para definir mi sentir en este momento de tanta dulzura... por favor mi Señor.. ROCKINGMAN ROCKINGMAN 10 months ago This is now playing on Classic Radio. I heard it again on CR in about '97 and I said to my then great friend what is that sad beautiful piece. He stopped and listened and said 'yes... isn't that beautiful, it's Massenet Thais. I went and bought the album. It always reminds me of my great friend Michael. God bless him. The piece sends me to that far away place that music does when it hits the emotions and this does, beautifully played. XpertPilot XpertPilot 4 years ago A person probably just created 242 fake accounts all just to dislike this video XD Seriously though, one of the best performances of this piece that I have ever heard, absolutely brilliant 21 Kaysthetic Kaysthetic 4 years ago I love this so much. Great interpretation of this piece 2 Patricia Barry Patricia Barry 11 months ago My very talented Uncle Richard played this piece many years ago in India when we were kids, but only later realised its full beauty...Yes it brings tears as memories flood back......... Aline Costa Aline Costa 3 years ago Estou aprendendo esta musica tenho apenas 12 anos e 1 e 4 meses de violino Mony LMD Mony LMD 2 years ago Merçi Mesdames pour votre parenthèse musicale de détente...de joie....d'évasion...de bonheur!!Violon+piano ...Sublimissimes!!Mony 💞⚘⚘ Isaí Moreno Isaí Moreno 10 months ago Powerful and sublime performance! Anita Ingrida Cepure Anita Ingrida Cepure 2 years ago I want this played at my funeral when i get to see my Brittany again. 6 John Crawford John Crawford 6 months ago Is it the music? is it the legs?, no matter, I'll listen and watch, watch and listen for as long as I have a leg to stand on! A standing ovation performance!!! 1 Matilde Tessari Matilde Tessari 2 years ago Awesome performance !!! ♥ Great music.... TERRYBIGGENDEN TERRYBIGGENDEN 10 days ago (edited) Stunning performance of thei magic thing. :-) Is this one of the most profound melodies in al Western music? :-) Antonio Diaz Diaz Antonio Diaz Diaz 4 years ago Los sentidos se trasforman, es una preciosidad. Betty Brown Betty Brown 5 years ago this is my most favorite version 1 Hannah Morgan Hannah Morgan 2 years ago Wonderful. Very graceful and well put together performance. Always love to see artists who love their instrument😊 3 Ava Victoria Ava Victoria 3 years ago People who talk about the DRESS are listening with their eyes and looking at all the wrong things. No big surprise. Optics is the name of the game for the shallow. This violinist plays like a powerful angel. It's stunning just listening and not watching. BRAVA Rusanda!!! 2 Paul DeCamp Paul DeCamp 4 months ago I don't get tired of hearing this. I especially like it with the harp. Piano is fine too. Dream State Meditation Dream State Meditation 1 year ago Music like this ignites the soul ✨ Caroliny Martins Caroliny Martins 9 months ago que perfeito meu Deus, um dia eu toco assim 2 Chloé Chloé 11 months ago This is so beautyfull and easy to Play 😍 Supermnlee Supermnlee 2 years ago Just started learning this, and three years ago when I had just started violin, my teacher showed me this piece and then after that I just called it the “shifting” piece 😂 3 nick howard nick howard 1 year ago Absolutely wonderful, thank you. Swan of Usk Swan of Usk 10 months ago Written as an intermezzo to be played during a scene change this is the the most perfect example of French romantic music. Imagine watching the Opera Thais with all its passion and pathos and larger than life characters and suddenly set in the middle of it comes this beautiful 6 minute instrumental. When I think of Thais the courtesan of Alexander the Great this music seems to describe her. 1 Walter Walterson Walter Walterson 1 year ago The Meditation began life as an entr’acte or intermezzo between scenes in the second act of Jules Massenet’s opera Thaïs. The crux of the plot: Athanaël, a Cenobite monk, goes to extreme lengths to persuade Thaïs, a ravishing courtesan, to give up her life of sin. She will find salvation through God, he opines. The Meditation for violin solo and orchestra affords our heroine a brief but heavenly period of reflection, and as far as the monk is concerned, the music nails it: after it ends, (and the concertmaster acknowledges the rapturous applause) Thaïs tells Athanaël she’ll renounce her hedonistic life and follow him into the desert. 1

No comments: