Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Dr. David Sinclair: The Biology of Slowing & Reversing Aging | Huberman Lab Podcast #52 1,166,037 views Dec 27, 2021

Dr. David Sinclair: The Biology of Slowing & Reversing Aging | Huberman Lab Podcast #52 1,166,037 viewsDec 27, 2021 Andrew Huberman 1.07M subscribers In this episode, I am joined by Dr. David Sinclair, tenured Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School and an expert researcher in the field of longevity. Dr. Sinclair is also the author of the book Lifespan: Why We Age & Why We Don't Have To, and the host of the Lifespan Podcast, which launches January 5, 2022. In this interview, we discuss the cellular and molecular mechanisms of aging and what we all can do to slow or reverse the aging process. We discuss fasting and supplementation with resveratrol, NAD, metformin, and NMN. We also discuss the use of caffeine, exercise, cold exposure, and why excessive iron load is bad for us. We discuss food choices for offsetting aging and promoting autophagy (clearance of dead cells). And we discuss the key blood markers everyone should monitor to determine your biological versus chronological age. We also discuss the future of longevity research and technology. This episode includes lots of basic science and specific, actionable protocols, right down to the details of what to do and when. By the end, you will have in-depth knowledge of the biology of aging and how to offset it. Thank you to our sponsors: ROKA - https://www.roka.com - code "huberman" InsideTracker - https://www.insidetracker.com/huberman Magic Spoon - https://www.magicspoon.com/huberman Dr. David Sinclair Links: Lifespan Podcast: https://lifespanpodcast.com Twitter: https://twitter.com/davidasinclair Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/davidsincla... YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/davidsinclair... Lifespan (book): https://amzn.to/3mAZQjF Aging Test Waitlist: https://www.doctorsinclair.com Harvard Lab Website: https://sinclair.hms.harvard.edu Our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/andrewhuberman Supplements from Thorne: http://www.thorne.com/u/huberman Social: Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/hubermanlab Twitter - https://twitter.com/hubermanlab Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hubermanlab Website - https://hubermanlab.com Newsletter - https://hubermanlab.com/neural-network Timestamps: 00:00:00 Dr. David Sinclair, Harvard Medical School 00:03:30 ROKA, InsideTracker, Magic Spoon 00:07:45 “Aging as a Disease” vs. Longevity & Anti-Aging 00:10:23 What Causes Aging? The Epigenome 00:15:53 Cosmetic Aging 00:17:15 Development Never Stops, Horvath Clock 00:20:12 Puberty Rate as a Determinant of Aging Rate 00:23:00 Fasting, Hunger & Food Choices 00:32:44 Fasting Schedules, Long Fasts, (Macro)Autophagy 00:34:50 Caffeine, Electrolytes 00:35:56 Blood Glucose & the Sirtuins; mTOR 00:37:55 Amino Acids: Leucine, “Pulsing” 00:44:35 Metformin, Berberine 00:50:29 Resveratrol, Wine 00:53:20 What Breaks a Fast? 00:56:45 Resveratrol, NAD, NMN, NR; Dosage, Timing 01:09:10 Are Artificial Sweeteners Bad for Us? 01:12:04 Iron Load & Aging 01:15:05 Blood Work Analysis 01:19:37 C-Reactive Protein, Cholesterol: Serum & Dietary 01:26:02 Amino Acids, Plants, Antioxidants 01:33:45 Behaviors That Extend Lifespan, Testosterone, Estrogen 01:40:35 Neuroplasticity & Neural Repair 01:46:19 Ice Baths, Cold Showers, “Metabolic Winter” 01:48:07 Obesity & How It Accelerates Aging, GnRH 01:52:10 Methylation, Methylene Blue, Cigarettes 01:56:17 X-Rays 01:59:00 Public Science Education, Personal Health 02:05:40 The Sinclair Test You Can Take: www.doctorsinclair.com 02:08:13 Zero-Cost Support & Resources, Sponsors, Patreon, Supplements, Instagram Please note that The Huberman Lab Podcast is distinct from Dr. Huberman's teaching and research roles at Stanford University School of Medicine. The information provided in this show is not medical advice, nor should it be taken or applied as a replacement for medical advice. The Huberman Lab Podcast, its employees, guests and affiliates assume no liability for the application of the information discussed. Title Card Photo Credit: Mike Blabac - https://www.blabacphoto.com Audio Engineering: Joel Hatstat at High Jump Media Chapters Dr. David Sinclair, Harvard Medical School 0:00 ROKA, InsideTracker, Magic Spoon 3:30 “Aging as a Disease” vs. Longevity & Anti-Aging 7:45 What Causes Aging? The Epigenome 10:23 Cosmetic Aging 15:53 Development Never Stops, Horvath Clock 17:15 2,999 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Andrew Huberman Pinned by Andrew Huberman Andrew Huberman 4 months ago (edited) The first episode of Dr. David Sinclair's new podcast launches Wednesday, January 5, 2022. You can subscribe now to that podcast, "Lifespan with Dr. David Sinclair", on all podcast platforms ( https://lifespanpodcast.com ) and here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/davidsinclairpodcast. Thank you for your interest in science! 667 Living With a Dog Living With a Dog 4 months ago Imagine how the internet has changed the world. You can now easily prolong your life for free because of technology and intelligent people like Andrew 628 katewenzell katewenzell 4 months ago One thing I question is the exposure to cold. I was homeless for 6 years and it wrecked my health. I have to say right here that I don't do drugs, that was never my problem, because a lot of people on the streets self-medicate, but I never liked drugs, not even pot. The main contributing factors for my health deterioration were were chronic stress (bordering on PTSD), especially due to constant police and societal harassment, and poor diet, due to being poor, eating old, cold and cheap foods. However, one other thing started really messing my hormones up, and that was living through winters and snow without heating. I lived in my van, so I would get under the feather comforter and sleeping bag at night and shiver for about an hour until my own body heat would heat up the space. I was able to get warm during the days at a cafe or library, but there was no refuge at night from the cold. The last couple winters, my body started having trouble self-regulating its heat. I would be so cold, and then I would suddenly overheat and be sweating. I have gone into early menopause in my early 40's. I am totally traumatized by the cold now. I feel like Scarlet O'Hara in "Gone With the Wind," except I would say, "As God is my witness, I will never go cold again!" Dr. Sinclair saying he wears a T-shirt in winter gives me shivers. So I respect deprivation of our ancestors (and the current indigent) as something that can be absolutely damaging. The homeless have a much lower lifespan than the rest of society. Controlled deprivation is still privileged deprivation. That being said, we do live in a society of sickening over-abundance. And I do notice that wealthier people often seem less happy than the homeless, where the smallest thing is appreciated. I watched your video on dopamine, and it finally made sense to me why that is. Now that I am housed, I am able to rest and heal and have some peace, but I'm also in a slump. Being alive in this world is a difficult balance between security and thrill. 385 Laura Lockie Laura Lockie 4 months ago After viewing this podcast, I grabbed a copy of "Lifespan" by David Sinclair, and I was completely unprepared for what a well written, intriguing theory of life itself on our planet it would contain. Everyone should read this book to gain an understanding of the science of themselves and how to live a better life. Thank you so much for introducing us to his work! 94 Lauren Winters Lauren Winters 4 months ago What a difference it makes to have well practiced professors explain these ideas! This is such a gift. 24 K B K B 4 months ago Dr. Huberman, can you tell us which brand of NMN supplements your sister takes and what dosage she’s found is optimal? In future episodes when you suggest protocols, it would be helpful if you could share which of them (and to what extent) your sister and/or other women in your life also practice. (With their permission of course) 10 Coco Coco 2 weeks ago I'm such a huge fan of your podcast, Dr Huberman, and this episode was one of my favorites. In fact, I'm watching it again, as there is sooo much good information here. Can you tell us which brand of NMN your sister was taking? And the brand of resveratrol you take, (if you have started taking it)? Thank you for what you do and for sharing it with us! 2 Akash Rathod Akash Rathod 4 months ago Two scientists that I follow all the time, now on one podcast. This is a Christmas gift. 1.2K Andrew Huberman Ajith Samaratunga Ajith Samaratunga 3 months ago One of most productive talk from two great scientists in our generation. Thank you from Australia 🇦🇺 11 edu montero edu montero 4 months ago I have been following David Sinclair for few months now and he has been interviewed by very smart guys here on youtube, but this was his best interview ever. Great job Andrew, You asked him some amazing questions, this is very educational, I am going to follow you closely from now on. 7 TreyD TreyD 4 months ago Stuff like this is a representation of some of best attributes of our species. Thank you doctors for sharing your knowledge!! 17 Mother of crows Mother of crows 4 months ago Every time I hear Sinclair talk I learn something new. Your interview here was just perfect and covered a wide range of actionable longevity strategies. 15 A A A A 4 months ago Would love a whole episode on Electrolytes and it’s importance to the human body. I feel like electrolytes are really overlooked by many doctors 15 KC Maxwell KC Maxwell 4 months ago My father is 97 years old. He is a WWII vet and has survived double pneumonia, sepsis and Covid in the last two years. And he rides his recumbent bicycle 30 minutes daily. His longevity, in my opinion, is directly related to his low caloric intake (and great caretaking). He’s eaten once or twice per day for his entire life. Super interesting science. Thank you. 616 Lov'n My World Lov'n My World 4 months ago I am only in 18mins and This conversation is so interesting between two great educated minds. I am hooked, love it already Oh and NOT drinking alcohol is definitely not boring AT all. Love it 8 HEIA // Holistic Education International Assoc. HEIA // Holistic Education International Assoc. 4 months ago I've seen Dr. Sinclair interviewed before, but this interview was very thorough. Great job Mr. Huberman. :) 2 Lotfi Bouhedjeur Lotfi Bouhedjeur 4 months ago (edited) Both of my favorite professors get together! This was so exciting I could listen to them all day. I love how they treat anyone who gets close enough as a potential science experiment 😂 Thank you both for making this happen. 26 Digital Deepak Digital Deepak 4 months ago Going to buy the book. Insane podcast. I didn't take him seriously until I knew he was 52. 202 AYE AYE 2 months ago Oh, my goodness how amazing and informative is this conversation -For me it was a class! I took notes and study every bit of it, it took me two days to actually finish watching the whole conversation. Thank you both for helping us ask the right questions, and be aware of all the goodness that can helps us do better in our health. 1 mon chaton mon chaton 4 months ago I knew it was only a matter of time until Dr David Sinclair made his way onto your show. Thank you Andrew! 265 Andrew Huberman with no paddle with no paddle 4 months ago Was on the borderline of checking myself into drug treatment this month until i started reading Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, watched a few of the podcasts in this series followed by a responsible psychedelic experience...can't explain how grateful I am for resources like yours, Dr Wakers, Dr Sinclairs etc. People don't talk enough about how diet, exercise and proper rest enable making the right decisions in other areas of your life so much easier. Normally i shitpost and troll in the comments but with 100% of my sincere-ness thank you. 210 Utkan ÇALIŞKAN Utkan ÇALIŞKAN 4 months ago I can't even dare to explain how valuable this podcast was. Thank you very much! I would also LOVE to listen to your philosophical conservation. Please consider that. The youth/future needs real influencers like you guys! 11 Shirin Shirin 5 days ago Amazing every time with this two scientists. 🙏🏽 Thank you for giving us access to all this information. ijaz8888 ijaz8888 4 months ago Two of my most admired science professionals in the same room together - Happy New Year to both and keep up the great work !! You both are Awesome 👍👍 12 The Art of Egyptian Metaphysics The Art of Egyptian Metaphysics 4 months ago Thanks for bringing Dr. Sinclair’s message to the world. I appreciate the information. Very powerful. 2 Paradox Echo Paradox Echo 4 months ago Dr Andrew thank you very much for your efforts of bringing these terrific scientific viedos to us. I have a question here , I am a 21 years old Chinese girl and I was diagnosed as hyperthyroidism though not severe, just T3 and T4 slightly below the normal level .But the doctor said I have to take Euthyrox for several years cause I really suffered from hair loss and irregular menses etc. As the doctor said I got this because my efforts of trying to lose weight like skipping the breakfast. I watched your viedo about fasting and other related viedos, I kind of getting confused. what if endocrine disorders kicks in like low metabolic state such as hyperthyroidism before the good effects of fasting manifest themselves, and what about other bad effects like constipation or IBS. Dr Andrew thank you again for all these terrific scientific viedos.Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. 1 maggie Van Rooij maggie Van Rooij 4 months ago What a gift for us, your audience. I do the fasting at 74 and feel great. Implementing new ways to maintain good health, never felt so good! Thank you both for you kindness and willingness to share . 117 seq seq 1 month ago Thank you both for this excellent podcast and taking the time to share for everyone , two legends ✔️ Diana Freeman Diana Freeman 3 months ago I have to say, as someone that is pretty new to the scientific community, this was very easy to listen to and understand. I appreciate you guys taking the time to do these kinds of videos to bring science to the general public. 5 Santiago Guadalupe Santiago Guadalupe 4 months ago This was amazing! Congratulations on your effort to create a healthier society 🙌🏼🙌🏼 2 Danny Piper Danny Piper 4 months ago Time flew by while I watched this 2 hours and 10-minute video; it was equivalent to watching a great movie. It's refreshing to see the dialog and hear unfiltered information directly from the source instead of through an intermediator. A wide array of subject matter was extrapolated from this podcast. Well done! 1 Nika A. Nika A. 4 months ago David and Andrew, thank you for your hard work and for sharing its results with the world, and yet for free😊 Can't wait for the pill that will reverse ageing! Good luck with all the research, Dr. Sinclair. 2 Jessika Love Jessika Love 4 months ago I feel like Professor Huberman is my friend on the inside at this point, lol. I look forward to these weekly podcasts. Such a wealth of information. Also, he seems to have such a positive aura. Keep up the great work, Professor! ♥️ 122 Yazan Abawi Yazan Abawi 4 months ago Thank you Andrew, what a great episode. You've asked the questions that I've been thinking about over the last few years since I first listened to David. 3 Anika vandermeer Anika vandermeer 4 months ago Soo grateful to you Dr Andrew Huberman for this INCREDIBLE interview . Dr David Sinclair was absolutely incredible to listen too. Thank you so much !! 1 J H J H 4 months ago Huberman Team; You're truly making a positive impact in my life. The information and the way in which it is presented leaves me feeling empowered. Finally caught up to your most recent podcasts after binging all last year to catch up. I look forward to being hooked to the Lifespan Podcast as well! Angel12 Boucher Angel12 Boucher 4 months ago Thank you…absolutely amazing informative podcast…I’m so appreciative of the understandable science presented here…thank you again 1 Iron Maiden Fitness Iron Maiden Fitness 1 month ago Thank you so much for sharing. Absolutely brilliant! So looking forward to the next installment in this space 🎉👏🏼💚 Andrew Huberman Kristy S Kristy S 4 months ago I’d really love to know more about fasting and women’s health, particularly during peri/menopause. I’ve done IF once, for 6 weeks, and my hormones became imbalanced, I gained weight, and lost my hunger cues and overall appetite. My overall calories were appropriate and I was getting optimal nutrition. I suspect there was something in the particular IF pattern I was using that was ill-suited to my physiology. But I’d like the health-benefits of it. Is there any literature on IF for women in or nearing menopause? 123 Yanano Bere Yanano Bere 4 months ago I love how sensitive you both are to people's mental health. So many doctors are alarmist and turn people into hypochondriacs 1 Hari prasanth Hari prasanth 4 months ago This was the collab I was eagerly waiting for. I am a researcher in robotics and I am very excited to learn about a topic that is completely out of my research interest all because of you how interesting you guys made this. Thanks for all this work 84 Andrew Huberman CartwheelPig CartwheelPig 2 months ago Thank you Andrew Huberman for this insightful podcast series! What a time to be alive! Siebe Vermijs Siebe Vermijs 4 months ago You’re probably not gonna read this Andrew but anyways, thank you so much for everything you do! For the amazing content and bringing david over to your podcast. Highly enjoyed the convo and learned a lot from it! Keep it up man! :D Speakerall Speakerall 4 months ago (edited) Absolutely wonderful podcast/YouTube video! You guys are top in the world for this and I love when you guys have wonderful discussions as shown here by this podcast! One thing I would love to hear you guys talk about which probably won’t happen but I myself have hypo thyroidism and I’m just wondering what kind of effects are in store for me in terms of longevity. I’m doing all all I can through diet sleep and exercise but still wonder from time to time if I’m going to get cut off a little short due to my thyroid or lack of having 2/3 of a thyroid. Anyway thank you so so much! Kristofit Kristofit 3 months ago Thank you so much for this topic Doc, I did bodybuilding until a few years ago apparently every seems good in the exterior(I was 10% body fat high amount of muscle)until I got my blood work done and throwout that my LDL was off the roof and high cortisol, I switched my mindset to put longevity as the most important trait in my fitness goals and I was able to reverse my body aging with intermittent fasting, exercise and cold exposure I'm considering use resveratrol for cognitive enhancement but for now I'm just sticking to my high antioxidants & flavonoids diet (raw cacao powder or nibs + vegetables) also restricted animal protein to half and track my sleep patterns, all this sounds like hassle but I wanna live a longer life my grandparents form my dad side both lived +95 y.o. and they were lucid as a 60 y.o, in the other had my mom side had an average lifespan of 70 y.o. Roman Roman Roman Roman 4 months ago What a great deep dive. Also a great interaction between Andrew and David. Kudos👍 2 Oliround Oliround 4 months ago This channel/show is a gift to mankind and we should be forever grateful to this man 104 Andrew Huberman Sneha P Sneha P 4 months ago This is the first episode I am watching on your channel. I was so intrigued to know more. Very well structured and relevant questions. Thank you for sharing this valuable conversation. Not Me Not Me 4 months ago absolutely fantastic podcast thank you Andrew and David for this information! Young Money Investments Young Money Investments 4 months ago Huge fan of Dr. Sinclair’s work. I’ve listened to him many times and it never gets old hearing little nuggets of gold he has to share with listeners. Nomsa Ledwaba Nomsa Ledwaba 4 months ago My first time on this Andrew Huberman channel. I am so impressed by the simple way this interview is conducted by scientists. 3 A R D A R D 4 months ago An amazing informative talk beautifully delivered by two real living legends...... Lookinng forward to a topic on Energy healing or Body's ability to heal ... Thanks a Tonne to both of you. 1 AB AB 4 months ago Thank you Dr. Sinclair and Dr. Huberman for all you've done and do! We appreciate you 🙏 73 Bekind Bekind 3 months ago The most informative podcast I have watched for many years. Great questions, great answers! Un délice! Merci! Marge O Marge O 3 months ago Thank you for this wealth of information & plethora of knowledge. Your podcast is my new Netflix. You truly are a great teacher! YesKimKim YesKimKim 4 months ago This was amazing. Thank you both for this brilliant podcast. Brandon Bailey Brandon Bailey 4 months ago Andrew - thanks for facilitating this interview, and asking the RIGHT questions! awesome! 4 Nicolas Ayastuy Nicolas Ayastuy 4 months ago (edited) Been looking for a video like this for ages in Youtube. Infinite thanks for this to Andrew, David and his colleagues. I started fasting (involuntary) when i stopped smoking [7 years ago] and my body just stopped ageing. I still look like a 25 year old, tho i have 35 . Just now, with the stress rom work i started having some grey hair, but the rest feels and looks the same as i was when 25yo. I do have an egg and coffee in the morning and a sandwich and another coffee around 1pm and then dinner. Usually i don't eat if i don't feel like eating and sometimes i can go for 15 hs. without eating. Im healthy and in really good shape, i do the eventually weekend climbing or biking/cycling (which i did everyday until i was 24yo) but never pushing it to build muscle like one would do at the gym. Same ad David i try to pulse things and read my body when it needs protein and so on. Something that is on my every diet is MATE, i drink around 1.5 ~ 2 Litres of it everyday. From an Argentine to one with the lineage, Gracias Totales! Julie Lynn Julie Lynn 4 months ago I would love it if you were to do a video on Alzheimer's Disease and other dementia processes some day. My mother has it and her father did also. (Hers could be a mixed dementia and we're not 100 percent sure it's AD but we think it is because the majority of dementias are. Supposedly.) It is heartbreaking. Anyway, thank you so much for this channel. 152 Andrew Thompson Andrew Thompson 4 months ago This was great, especially for me since I just got my first comprehensive blood work down by inside tracker. I feel better about my results now. And of course I used the 25 percent off offered by Dr. Huberman 😁 Jesse Enkamp Jesse Enkamp 4 months ago Happy new year Dr. Andrew! 🥳Thanks for the life-changing lessons in 2021 🙏 Can’t wait to see what you have in store for 2022 🌟 64 Kim Prieboy Kim Prieboy 4 months ago Andrew, I would love to get your thought on blood types and how to eat, exercise and whether or not there is anything to it. Thank you for the information you are providing to us all at no cost! 1 Armasconi A Armasconi A 4 months ago (edited) Incredible podcast, truly a breath of fresh air. You and David have an amazing dynamic together! 6 Marcus Lehman Marcus Lehman 4 months ago (edited) An MD/MBA/explorer here...a lot of joy for me comes from excellence in various domains, so I've really enjoyed this podcast series for the great introductions to content! I struggle when it comes to application to real life: would love to talk to the marathon runner mentioned--long workouts or athletic success of any kind would be very hard to do without eating for major phases. And then you add in all the other great podcasts! Maybe a future podcast on integration of different podcasts would be interesting i.e. hot is good, cold is good, exercise good, fasting good, speeding recovery...how we do it all for long enough to learn what works while juggling the hospital, relationships, etc...hopeful thoughts, not critical ones! Any suggestions appreciated! 3 Katarzyna Hansen Katarzyna Hansen 2 weeks ago NMN and resveratrol are really amazing supplements. I take them since January 2020 and can see great results. F. Marqs F. Marqs 4 months ago Wow, what a awesome interview , didn't think that would stay glued to it for over 2 hours but the level of interest very high that I just had to watch it to the end, David Sinclair is not just an great scientist but also a great communicator, he explains things in a way that is not just for the scientific community but also in a way that the general public can follow and understand. Thank you Andrew great questions and follow ups, really good stuff very informative. Jennifer Myers Jennifer Myers 4 months ago This was excellent. I’m sharing this with all my loved ones; required viewing for my family. Thank you for the education. I feel ahead of the game because my family and I have been practicing time-restricted feeding for a number of years now. 80 percent of aging and disease comes down to epigenetic factors. I’m always emphasizing that, but many people seem to grossly undervalue the impact of lifestyle habits, thinking everything is the sole and direct consequence of our genes; simply untrue. Also, “if you don’t enjoy life, what’s the point?” 👏👏🙏 52 Al-Shaif Hirboush Al-Shaif Hirboush 4 months ago Amazing content as always. Question: What are your thoughts on the concept of carbohydrate backloading and it's impact on longevity given it's "negative" use of the mTOR and GLUT-4 pathways to shuttle glycogen preferentially to muscle tissue? Is it "less negative", and therefore more longevity promoting, to use carbs in this fashion? THANKS! A .S A .S 4 months ago this podcast is a gold treasure. thank you Andrew and Dr. David. Bryce Bryce 4 months ago Just finished Lifespan, that was a great book and not the science-heavy material I expected. I was braced and ready for a research paper equivalent in book form, gritting my teeth only to find it was an easy story-driven read. Already have the podcast saved and subbed this channel. Alex Beaulieu Alex Beaulieu 4 months ago David's book is excellent for a step-by-step for a lot of what he explains. Love the info Andrew! :) Lis Engel Lis Engel 4 months ago Great interview and really amazing and inspiring information . Sunny Preps Sunny Preps 4 months ago "We'll all be like Dead Pool." The same day I listened to this, my mom commented on my 92 year old step dad's uncanny ability to heal quickly. She was a nurse and nursing instructor and has noticed this ability over their 40 years together. 37 Edaryion Edaryion 4 months ago I would love to see you two talk more! Thank you for making this! Bushmon Harebrain Idealist Bushmon Harebrain Idealist 4 months ago Amazingly simple! Wow! Great interview! Thank you for those great questions! 1 Grant Burris Grant Burris 4 months ago This was great!! It was nice to hear Dr. Sinclair's latest advice. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 1 Kristin Couturier Kristin Couturier 4 months ago Awesome awesome show. I’ve been waiting for this interview. You both do fantastic work. Thank you naj naj 4 months ago (edited) Firstly, I am grateful for all of these podcasts and say the following with absolute respect to our learned professor. Traditional Asian medicine, be it Thai, Indian, Chinese, Tibetan - ALL talk about the health benefits of not eating in the evening, often not eating after midday. These medical systems are far more nuanced in how they talk about it, with information about the times and reasons to break this habit, ways to go about it etc. This is not esoteric information - it's pretty accessible really. Buddhist monks and nuns have been fasting after the midday meal for centuries, probably thousands of years. And they do it with knowledge of the affects on both the body and mind, it's not random or uninformed and it's not just because of tradition or religion. Again, I adore Dr. H., but listening to all these western doctors and scientists act if they discovered it shines a strong spotlight on the ethnocentric/western biomedicine-centric bias and I can't help but think that some of them might want to chat with some traditional medicine practitioners. Earlier today I saw a plaque that told the story of the first white men to set eyes on a local mountain - they promptly named it after a British admiral despite the fact that the local indigenous people already had a name for that mountain. Seeing that plaque, then listening to this podcast felt quite synchronous. I understand the need for modern science to understand things through its own lens and do its own studies, but claiming to have invented or discovered something that's been known about for hundreds/thousands of years by like half the planet might deserve a second take. #reinventingthewheel 3 Bill Long Bill Long 4 months ago This was a phenomenal discussion. Thank you both for your time, your knowledge, and your dream to bring your knowledge to the masses. 33 Nili Cohen Nili Cohen 6 days ago This is the best interview I have ever seen. Interesting and new informativ.Thanks a lot to both of you.Realy fantastic. Jeff Nixon Comedy Jeff Nixon Comedy 4 months ago Just finished reading Lifespan last night and now waking up to this podcast. Pretty sure this means I’ll never die. Hell ya, time to get into hobbyist sky-diving! 49 BIgBass255 BIgBass255 1 month ago Thank you both for truthful information, and devoting your life to this. PEACE PEACE 4 months ago This was great, thank you both. I opened my resveratrol cap and saw that it was brown, tossing the rest of the bottle. Can you recommend a trusted and third party tested supplier in Canada? It would be most appreciated, thank you and all the best, everyone! 2 Arash M6 Arash M6 4 months ago (edited) Good job Andrew! One of the best interview of Dr. Sinclair I have ever seen. Great specific educational questions! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 4 captin hindsight captin hindsight 3 months ago Very fascinating discussion, definitely learned a lot from this, great talk! Andrew Huberman roxana bogdan roxana bogdan 1 month ago Amazing! Love listening to both of you ! 🙌🙌🙌 Agnieszka Lorens Agnieszka Lorens 4 months ago I love how you encourage other scientists to start their podcasts! But also episodes with guests, no matter how interesting they are, just make me appreciate episodes fully conducted by you. I love the logic in the sentences.. it’s so pleasurable to follow🤤 42 safari tyler safari tyler 4 months ago I am one of those medical doctors, and I've been experimenting with chewing tobacco. I know there's a stigma associated with it, but reviewing the literature, I have convinced myself that there could be significant neuroprotection and very little carcinogenic potential. Anecdotally, some of the men I know who are the healthiest chew, intermittently fast, and don't smoke (think old rancher types). I'd love to see you delve into smokeless/non-combustible tobacco products. 2 Hadi Winata Hadi Winata 4 months ago Hi Andrew, thanks for the podcast and this is a very valuable topic. I could not agree more on the theory. Have been doing autophagy and on low carbs for 4 years, completely eliminated my IBS and GERD. On top of that i do not seem to age. My regime is always 16:8, fasting one pour over coffee in the morning, straight to weightlifting, first meal at 12 with low calories dense in nutritions' foods. Been on Gluconeogenesis cycle 4 weeks to 1 week on and off. Now i am so accustomed to work out without food. Energy level is always mint. laurent scheercousse laurent scheercousse 4 months ago THANK YOU SO MUCH Gentlemen. This podcast is so enlightening. Patricio Triveri Patricio Triveri 4 months ago Thank you so much for making these topics available! Would it be possible to have the videos transcribed? I know you have a search feature on your website but wading through several video clips takes forever. BTW, I grew up in Argentina but it was you who turned me into a mate drinker! Gene Panasenko STRAIGHT & UNFILTERED Gene Panasenko STRAIGHT & UNFILTERED 4 months ago Thank you for the excellent and such an informative podcast! 1 Marta Ilieva Rangel Marta Ilieva Rangel 4 months ago My two favourite scientists who I deeply admire 🙌🏼 Thank you Andrew for bringing David to your podcast 🙏🏼 I am grateful to both of you for sharing your precious knowledge and experience with us ❤️❤️❤️ 15 Sarala Kushwaha Sarala Kushwaha 4 months ago I loved the whole talk, so informative. I’m 77 yrs young. I learned what I need to change. carol decastro carol decastro 4 months ago Amazing! This conversation is a gift to humanity ❤️❤️❤️ 1 Greg Antikian Greg Antikian 4 months ago Amazing episode , outstanding !!! We will surely need an email with all those information, especially as far as supplements are concerned !! Kelly Serafina Kelly Serafina 3 months ago (edited) Oh wow. I learned so much from this video! It's also great to know that I can eat steak and butter without feeling guilt and shame. Thank you for that! Also...great info on metformin, resveratrol, and quercetin. I've been taking them for years, one for pre-diabetes and the other two to keep my skin's collagen level up (purely for cosmetic reasons). Good to know it's more than skin deep and it's going to allow me to become a very very old woman! Thank you both. Louise Corrans Louise Corrans 3 months ago Andrew thank you for asking such great, intelligent questions. I am your new biggest fan! Barbara York Woodside Barbara York Woodside 4 months ago Looking forward to Dr. Sinclair’s podcasts! Thank you for adding him to your roster of great guests. Happy New Year to you and your including your great staff and support teams. 8 humbles19 humbles19 4 months ago Thank you both for this interview. Is it okay to take NMN while on HRT? Also, are you saying it isn't good to take Estrogen/Progesterone for aging? I've recently started on them. Many thanks! 1 Nursultan Nursultan 4 months ago I could listen to you both for hours! Videos like make YouTube worthwhile. 22 Bruno Borchólski Bruno Borchólski 4 months ago (edited) Hi Dr Huberman. Could you make the episode about hyperbaric oxygen therapy and its influence on health and aging? Thanks for year of “opening my mind” podcast. What you do is great and impossible to overvalue. Best wishes from Poland. Automaton Automaton 3 months ago 1:12:07 Absolutely intriguing bit about iron! Here's one point of anec-data: My blood test showed that I have quite a low level of iron, but I refrained from jumping onto any supplementation as I dont experience any of the associated ill symptoms. I am indeed one of these individuals who look several years younger than my chronological age, as do both of my parents. 1 Mattéo Tessaro Mattéo Tessaro 4 months ago Yes Huberman, the idea of you and Sinclair taking an ice bath together somehow warms the heart. Thanks for sharing science with the world through this very accessible format. Dee A. Cook Dee A. Cook 1 month ago (edited) Thank you to both of you for your lifelong dedication to excellence and for making your expertise available to anyone who is seeking. Fascinating and helpful info! Years ago in the 80s when I was pregnant 4 times I refused any X-rays or ultrasounds because reasoned I want ill, I was pregnant. I was blessed to have found a doctor who agreed with me. Of course I agreed if he had reason to be concerned of a health issue of my baby, I would have an tests accordingly. You may also remember that in the 80s businesses were required to post signs saying microwaves were in use. I also wouldn’t go near a microwave in use while I was pregnant. Now we flood our heads daily with cell phone radiation, use microwaves in our homes multiple times a day and get X-rays anytime a dentist or physician wants one - no question asked. I am concerned that the greed factor in the media (which twists info to suit such greed using appalling journalism practices), in the medical and pharmacological world that more questions aren’t being posed for discussion. Maybe they are and I just don’t see it. Sigh - if it doesn’t bleed it doesn’t lead. I believe the number of the days we live are in God’s hands, but I also believe he expects us to care for the bodies he gave us and to make decisions accordingly. Thank you for making this information available and for free. Great discussion. Sophia Hsiang Sophia Hsiang 4 months ago Amazing conversation between two great scientists!! Thank you for what you do! Health Wealth Health Wealth 4 months ago This was the best interview of Dr. Sinclair and I've seen a lot of these interviews over the years. Too many times interviewers ask Dr. Sinclair questions that his book or prior podcasts answer. You asked some to unassumingly baseline an understanding and go further to ask questions I would have asked (e.g., dietary cholesterol, iron, finer protocol practices, etc). We got answers we hadn't heard before. Nicely done! 21 Mercédesz Mira Sárdi Mercédesz Mira Sárdi 4 months ago (edited) Thank you for this amazing conversation! After listening it, I tried sugar restriction and fasting, and I feel much better! I'm gonna follow Andrew's podcasts, he's so intelligent and friendly! 5 Angela Erickson Angela Erickson 3 months ago This was fantastic content! I feel conflicted between eating enough protein to support my work lifting in the gym and suppressing mTOR activation by following a low protein, calorically restricted diet for longevity. Has anyone addressed this? Sorry if my question is a redundancy ... Bipolar Treatment by Psychologist Jo Leidreiter Bipolar Treatment by Psychologist Jo Leidreiter 4 months ago it would be wonderful if you could provide a transcript of each podcast for quick referencing Also please do an episode on Bipolar Disorder as you have mentioned before. Keep up the wonderful work - every week I am transfixed by the information and science that you pass on. Anna Anna 4 months ago Thank you for your generosity and excellent content! 67NewEngland 67NewEngland 4 months ago This was a great conversation/ interview. Lots of topics to now look into. Elaine S Elaine S 4 months ago I just turned 60 and am the caregiver for my mom who this week turns 100!!!! For her age she is doing amazingly well. As I see her quality of health, it spurs me on to increase my health span not just my life span. 72 Atul D Atul D 4 months ago (edited) The best, most informative discussion on this topic, that is easily digestible for lay persons as well as those with science backgrounds. Thank you both! 🙏🏼 Magda Nieniewska Magda Nieniewska 2 weeks ago I've watched so many interviews with David Sinclair talking about this exact topic. But this interview trumps them all! It's by far the most in-depth one (thank you, Andrew Huberman for digging much deeper into this). It's also the first time, I hear David Sinclair talk about "pulsing" and its effect on the effectiveness of the supplements. Juli Moody Juli Moody 4 months ago Excellent Podcast both you are so informative just love it I am a strength athlete with a few gifts from my DNA like ACTN3 from both parents I would love to find out how I can contribute to any testing Robert fiftysix Robert fiftysix 1 month ago Great podcast as usual. David Sinclair is also an amazing scientist & his book is one i read in two sittings. Could i suggest Paul Stamets & the use of mushrooms for health interventions for another guest. Also Dr Rhonda Patrick. Juaísca Rodríguez Juaísca Rodríguez 4 months ago I would love to have all this information but adapted to high performance athlete/individuals. Thank you so, so much! I do really appreciate all this information. Bravo, bis!👏🏽 Bill Kemp Bill Kemp 4 months ago Great podcast! I always love to hear what David has to say and you Andrew ask all the right questions. 19 A A 4 months ago Thanks for sharing a great podcast. I come from a family where growing old and healthy above 90 from father's side is normal and mom's side is where 70 and below and get health issues. Not sure, which side I'll be on but one thing I'm sure stress increases your age. 3 Susan Stultz Hauss Susan Stultz Hauss 4 months ago Dr Huberman and Dr Sinclair. Thank you so much for sharing your passion and knowledge, for free, with us!! It is very frustrating that a lot of sources want you to buy their book first or pay for the "secrets". I loved this podcast!! 33 Nicole Bonnie Nicole Bonnie 3 weeks ago First of all, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. Can age reversal protocols mitigate / 'cure' alzheimer's disease ? What about other mental health issues ( such as schizophrenia among others ) ? Thanks Mal Lee Mal Lee 4 months ago (edited) I found this discussion mind blowing and offer my sincere thanks. Speaking in acronyms - so frustrating - it kills any potential understanding in certain areas (For me), is my only concern. One question: Will it ever be possible to work in these areas without the heartless indifference towards the pain and suffering of Animals?? Folms Folms 4 months ago Very informative discussion. David Sinclair always gives hope to human kind. My only Criticism would be his over evaluation of utility of a CRP level. As an ER physician, where I am ordering this test on my patients multiple times a day, antidotally is seems that CRP levels are frequently undetectable in elder/unhealthy/CAD populations. 4 Sadie Stanton Sadie Stanton 4 months ago Thankyou for sharing this wonderful informative talk. You briefly discussed dentistry, I'm wondering if either of you have considered the effect on aging of widespread routine retardation of jaw growth in teenagers through retractive orthodontics? It causes reduction in AP airway and can lead to sleep apnea which is strongly associated with shorter lifespan, UARS (which is the equivalent for people who are slim, don't drink and more often women) can have devastating effects on quality of life as sympathetic tone must be rigorously sustained to maintain a patent airway. I'd love to see real science on the downstream and long term effects of extraction and retraction before the end of puberty. Dentistry and orthodontia unfortunately is full of dogma and poor science. Could jaw growth be stunted in mice and behavioural and epigenetic effects studied? BDNFGuy BDNFGuy 4 months ago Amazing conversation guys!! Ya'll know how to light up our hypothalamus's! 1 peter clark peter clark 4 months ago I’m 35 now and starting to see and feel it. I swear I was 22 just yesterday. Time flies! 74 Gabriel Acosta Gabriel Acosta 1 month ago This is the greatest pod of all time. Thank you Andrew!!! Savva Ratkovich Savva Ratkovich 4 months ago thanks for this podcast, you are doing great job! Andras Jambor Andras Jambor 3 months ago Thank you for this very informative video, I hope you are right, the internet will be used also for channeling real science, and facts, not just commercials and politics. Good work! Darlene S Darlene S 4 months ago Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and expertise! Could you do a segment on COPD? I know that COPD gets progressively worse but is there anything at all that can help. I am 68 yr old former smoker. I haven't smoked in 10 yrs and when I did smoke it was about one pack per week. Such damage I cause to my lungs! I appreciate any information you could offer. I am at the point that I cannot breathe after doing simple tasks. I do not want to use oxygen. I am trying yoga, breathing techniques, etc. Thank you! Happy New Year! Lisa Paskewitz Lisa Paskewitz 3 months ago How wonderful to hear two of the greatest minds in science today bouncing ideas off each other Bernard Radcliffe Bernard Radcliffe 4 months ago One of the all time greatest podcasts in relation to health and longevity. Thank you guys. 7 David Needham David Needham 4 months ago Love to hear some follow up on Methylene Blue if possible guys. You guys are both fantastic…keep it up! Steve Hunt Steve Hunt 1 month ago Brilliant interview. So refreshing to have two genuinely intelligent people with such insightful questions. Also great interviewing skills not asking too many questions at once and really listening to the answers. Yayang Tapir Yayang Tapir 4 months ago Dr Huberman is asking such interesting questions and Dr Sinclair is just amazing. Two best scientists together to make this world a better place. 2 Steven Green Steven Green 3 months ago There is so much great information in this one video. Thanks Dr's for this great video. Marget Ofek Marget Ofek 2 months ago Great podcast! Anyone know of resources that might help a parent think through how to appropriately and safely apply some of this research to children? And more broadly helping to set children up for a lifetime of metabolic health? Thank you in advance. Blue_Samurai_ Zero Blue_Samurai_ Zero 4 months ago #52? Congratulations on your first year of podcasts! Discovered you 3 months ago. Just starting to get into the swing of running through your channel. Good stuff! Discovered Sinclair some time ago and still haven't worked out a good place to order some of what he recommends... and then it got banned wrongly when being misrepresented to the FDA. Will check out this interview soon! 10 Garbojax McBruce Garbojax McBruce 4 months ago Amazing podcast! This is the first one I've watched, definitely watching more now!! So how does this relate to protocols for everyday life? Sure, I should exercise, but should I avoid high intensity since that's burning the clock faster? Or go for it since that shows the cells adversity? Should I avoid intense emotion? Should one not listen to music when driving? Should one opt to sit on the deck and watch the scenery over watching a movie? Should one live in the country instead of the bustling city? Can one actually feel the clock a bit to avoid what speeds up the clock without showing adversity? Or is the clock disjoint from the feeling of burning the candle at both ends? I get that measurement and knowing the numbers is how you find the answer, but do you happen to already know to give me (us) a head start? Great protocols for actions, and maybe I missed this in there somewhere, but are there better protocols for how to structure environment, basic habits, use of music, television, levels of emotion, exposure to or isolation from the elements, levels of focus, meditation, prayer, the basic human stuff... Being able to correlate the inner experience of ticking the clock with the actual tick of the biological clock would probably be the single greatest tool for the lay person like myself. Any thoughts?

No comments: