Friday, October 04, 2024

Tchaikovsky SHOWDOWN 🎻 ft. Itzhak Perlman, David Oistrakh, & Alena Baeva

Tchaikovsky SHOWDOWN 🎻 ft. Itzhak Perlman, David Oistrakh, & Alena Baeva Ray Chen 602K subscribers Subscribe 3.7K Share Download Thanks Clip 93,094 views Premiered Jan 15, 2024 Want to feel motivated and less lonely when you practice music? Join the best practice app for free: https://tonicmusic.app/practice-together and learn together with the Tonic community 🎵 Can you guess who the mystery musician is based on the thumbnail? I already know we’re going to need a Round 2 for this so just go ahead and list out and vote for the people you want me to include in the next round of Tchaikovsky SHOWDOWN 0:00 - Intro 0:31 - David Oistrakh 3:14 - Itzhak Perlman 5:52 - Alena Baeva 8:00 - Mystery musician Chapters View all Transcript Follow along using the transcript. Show transcript Ray Chen 602K subscribers Videos About Tonic Music | The new way to practice Learn with the Community 🎉 451 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Pinned by Ray Chen @RayChenViolinist 8 months ago Want to feel motivated and less lonely when you practice music? Join the best practice app for free: https://tonicmusic.app/practice-together and learn together with the Tonic community 🎵 58 Reply 3 replies @johnalexander4946 5 months ago Not sure how anyone can play the Tchaikovsky better than David Oistrakh. He represented the best of the Soviet school and Russian tradition. 17 Reply @alfromvancouver 8 months ago Got to give this one to the King of Violin, David Oistrakh! Definitely one of my most listened version of the Tchaikovsky. 45 Reply @formerpro9930 8 months ago The great David Oistrakh owned this concerto. 27 Reply @eri6219 8 months ago Really really love Perlman’s Tchaikovsky. It made me fell in love with Perlman and violin. 17 Reply @SmoothJK 8 months ago That's awesome that Ray included himself and saw some...less ideal parts. That's only a reminder of how far he has come as a musician over the years! 25 Reply @selgeaus 8 months ago I've always loved Perlman's tone only he could create - very warm and creamy soup type of tone. 23 Reply @RayChenViolinist 8 months ago I already know we’re going to need a Round 2 for this so just go ahead and list out and vote for the people you want me to include in the next round 🥊 242 Reply 144 replies @a.r.mackinnon2451 8 months ago Oistrakh's performance is just bloody mind-blowingly good. 16 Reply @leonardobastos1945 8 months ago Oistrakh is simple the BEST! Great sound, overtones, power and delicacy at the same time. The GOAT... 80 Reply 3 replies @bardiakian5482 8 months ago Heifetz does this piece in his way and wow… it is a fiery performance!!! People should give it a listen for sure! 26 Reply 3 replies @saylork8547 8 months ago It has always been my favorite violin concerto, or at least one of my favs! I grew up hearing the Perlman version, but honestly, I just love to listen to anyone playing it because the variety of colors and styles people add to it is great! 8 Reply @hiendo5846 2 months ago Maestro Oistrakh for me, IMHO. Got this on vinyl and goosebumped as soon as he played the first note❤ 1 Reply @benlyon 8 months ago Love that you included your own cringe moments. They happen to all of us across any career where you push yourself. The positive spin is super awesome for growing musicians! 26 Reply @TheVinylFactor 8 months ago I was hoping to see Augustin Hadelich here, I love his interpretation of Tchaikovsky. 16 Reply 4 replies @Dilsli 8 months ago I've seen you playing in the Queen Elisabeth Competition. And in the audience we talked that you were going places.🎉 That QEC: I brought a brother who was visiting me at the time and he had his first contact with the violin then and he loved it. We went back with his boyfriend who arrived at a later date. That brother is very ill now, at the hospital in Brazil. To cheer him up, I reminisced about the fun we had at the QEC. 6 Reply @AnkitPatel-ih6uv 8 months ago I hope you add Julia Fischer to your next comparison videos! She's also an incredible performer but I've found that very few people in the U.S. know of her. 61 Reply 5 replies @Joie-du-sang 8 months ago I saw Baeva perform the Britten concert with the NY Phil a few months ago and I really enjoyed. The concerto has a really unusual ending where it's very quiet and intimate, as opposed to the usual big ending most concertos have. She did a really great job with it, and I feel like that sort of ending must be incredibly scary to perform. You've just played 20-30 minutes and instead of going out with a bang you have to play very quietly and intimately, holding everyone's attention but not overdoing it. It was impressive! 34 Reply 2 replies @BoraViolin 8 months ago The Perlman video has always been one of my favorites. The audience was so moved they broke tradition and gave him a rounding applause after the first movement. Reply @Chihuahuauno1 8 months ago NEVER heard DO's performance, it's my NEW FAV "Tcha." 1 Reply @RosyOutlook17 8 months ago 1:57 Ray’s face here is so emotional. Shows just how much he really enjoys and feels the music. Reply @TheSparshofMusic-wn7de 1 month ago (edited) Hi Ray, I have watched all of your showdown videos. I really liked them. Can you please make more of such showdown videos for different concertos? Thanks! 1 Reply @AlejandroRomero-if2zw 8 months ago I loved the video, especially when you were explaining interpretation in the beginning. Ray you are the best. 4 Reply @cc9946 8 months ago Can’t wait to see you tomorrow and listen to your Tchaikovsky!! 😍 2 Reply @pajarosaenz 8 months ago I started to study violin because i found a CD with te Oistrakh Version. I loved it and i love it since nowadays. 2 Reply @sophielee570 4 months ago Ray is so cute when his own playing appears ... great to see these comparisons, you successfully introduced me to old videos that I didn't want to listen to. Really love this showdown series and petition for more!! Reply @jgunther3398 4 months ago alena's playing is "honest and direct" as well. that sweetness and light is her personality -- a personality which will also include guns firing out of hell! Reply @LiLi-USA 7 months ago I love this series! Please do one for Dvorak Violin Concerto! 1 Reply @stevec7445 7 months ago I just got to see Perlman play this piece in Houston. So amazing and beautiful. 2 Reply @gimletrose1985 8 months ago David O. Is one of my favorite ❤❤❤ this one and Seberius are just chef's kiss 2 Reply @Depression862 8 months ago All the performances are undoubtedly majestic, but my favorite is Ray's performance incredible.🔥 6 Reply 1 reply @traderhooper 7 months ago I like the way that you reviewed your younger self. It's always good to look back to see how you have grown, both technically and emotionally. Reply @farzadhozouri5365 8 months ago 3:46 The photo is Igor Oistrakh the son of David 3 Reply @ivylan12 7 months ago How he explains the different types of interpretations and sounds >>> Reply @shiaoyunfu-tf5dz 8 months ago Compared with here that ray cheng showed different interpretation of violinists how they played the ventage track Tchaikovsky violin concerto. I think I love ray Chen's playing better. No matter at the age of 20 that he won the Queen Elisabeth Competition or almost a year ago he play this vantage track again with Seattle symphony orchestra, actually his technic is very strong, his mucic is emotionally, and with a lot of passion also. I think the record that he performed with Seattle symphony orchestra is the best in the world, he also played with his vantage track extremely already. I hope I could watch this films again here in the near future. This is my favorite classical music that performed by ray chen. 2 Reply @cesardiezv 8 months ago (edited) Last time I couldn't decide between two albums with Tchaikovsky and Sibelius violin concerts. One by Oistrakh/Ormandy and other by Lisa Batiashvili/Baremboin. Both very good yet different. 2 Reply @edm213 5 months ago Ray, thank you so much for this and all your videos. I'm not a musician and learn so much about listening to and interpretation of classical music from you. 1 Reply @EvieBear236 8 months ago When critiquing movies, have you ever thought about looking at "Music of the Heart"? Meryl Streep plays a violin teacher who starts a violin music program in an inner city school.. Based on a true story. Several well-known violinists have cameos. 1 Reply @Sogekingviolin 1 month ago Actually David Oistrakh is my favorite violinist for all the time ❤ I’m from 🇲🇽 hi Ray Reply @traxevc2002 2 months ago (edited) What a great and didactic video! Please keep doing more of these! P.S. the intensity and energy of your own playing is intoxicating, especially on your later videos. After listening to them, it has made me ‘look for it’ in every other video I’m watching, and, if I don’t get it, I can easily get bored. Reply @antonvf9619 8 months ago please give us more of these wonderful showdowns!! 1 Reply @VeguldenZilverling 8 months ago Greetings from Antwerp, thanks for the concert. 1 Reply @jansnauwaert1785 5 months ago (edited) I found this is a very interesting comparison. Much to be seen that otherwise a non professional wouldn't see. Kind of funny, but also courageous, that you are objective (even a bit hard) for your own interpretation. You still won the Elisabeth with it. 1 Reply @Daniel27600 8 months ago Now you have to do the Bruch showdown! That first phrase can make or break the concerto. 18 Reply 4 replies @deanjones2525 8 months ago NO ONE comes close to David Oistrakh. He's a musical poet. Also, his Brahms concerto is second to none, sublime and perfection. 8 Reply 7 replies @peggysmith-p5u 8 months ago This is a wonderful series, comparing side-by-side these great recordings. So interesting to hear how each interprets the music! My fave is still Oistrakh! 1 Reply @jaegertiger384 8 months ago ITZHAK PERLMAN... 1980 with the Philadelphia Orchestra. 1 Reply @sabrinai 8 months ago Thank you so much for making this review of the Tchaik! Can't wait for yours live in a week!!! 🎉🤩 6 Reply @rapidblur8647 8 months ago Henryk Szeryng has my favorite recording of this piece 1 Reply @Sarcalamu-cm7jk 8 months ago I’m not a violinist but this is one of my favorite pieces 3 Reply @someonelol3404 8 months ago Heifetz's one is INSANE 2 Reply @chia_s_ee_d 8 months ago Please review Hilary and Janine!!! 4 Reply @editionprimavista4937 8 months ago Keep them coming, @Ray! As far as I am concerned, you can dive deeper and spend more time with each performance. I am also a musician - a recorder player - but it's not easy for me to hear those subtle differences between, well, different violinists. So you pointing them out to us is really useful and educating. 4 Reply @martalopez-viviesalas1655 8 months ago Perlman has been always my favourite one but young Ray... oooh, just so cute. 1 Reply @taochengliu44 8 months ago 很高興在這裡聽到你分析這麼美的聲音。尤其是在欣賞回味自己的聲音。太美好了。謝謝你❤ 1 Reply @Jess-mk3vs 8 months ago Can we please make the leagues in Tonic optional? This give such a toxic vibe to practicing where if I do not practice for one day due to real life obligations, I am stuck in the fall zone for the rest of the week. And what about voice and woodwind players? You can only practice for so long without physical damage to your voice and/or lungs. The leagues don't seem like a fair way to promote people to practice unless you decide to make listening XP the same as practicing XP at a certain league. 2 Reply @stormr3x209 8 months ago I’ve been waiting for this video for a fat while 😭😭 1 Reply @familiedronkers2305 8 months ago Hi Ray, I have been really enjoying your videos. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and being such a big inspiration to so many of us. Keep it going! Love to hear your praise of David Oistrakh, one of my big heroes as well. 👍👍 5 Reply @sertol3562 8 months ago Would be nice to include Mr. Heifetz in this comparison, especially with Oistrakh 1 Reply 1 reply @caloriomatheus 8 months ago Oistrakh with Phil orch. And Ormandy is the most phenomenal tchaik ive ever heard Reply @notmyrealname6272 8 months ago Janine Jansen live with Berlin Phil. My absolute favourite. Reply @Gusi8898 5 months ago Vadim Repin's Tchaikovsky is extremely underrated Reply @DebHickerson 8 months ago (edited) I grew up listening to Jascha Heifetz play this. My cousin attended a masters class with Perlman. Never heard of Baeva before this. Reply @asya_vin 8 months ago вааааау лучшие видео!!! спасибо! Reply @margaretheqiaowang5610 8 months ago Appreciate these review videos! Please do Heifetz and Gitlis!! 2 Reply @marjovanderknaap6515 8 months ago What a joy it was to see and hear you live performing this beautifull peace tonight in Eindhoven! And after that changing a string ON stage WHILE introducing us to your version of Waltzing Mathilda. Lucky the new string behaved 😉it was awesome!! 😍 1 Reply @dcar6530 8 months ago My fav are Heifetz, Oistrakh, Perlman, Kogan, Grumiaux and 😉Ray Chen Reply @kes1209 8 months ago This series is awesome, really insightful for learning about these pieces and how to develop taste. Also really appreciate your candor, really respect your efforts to share honest stories so we can all learn! 1 Reply @Orson2u 8 months ago Ohhhhhh, BEAUTIFUL RAY of musical sunshine...! (Seriously, you had me at “Tchaikov-”…). Reply @SiChange 8 months ago Very thoughtful review. Kyung Wha Chung (disciplined fire) and Leonid Kogan (muscular) might be complementary readings. 1 Reply @HaoLiu_drliuhao 8 months ago This is actually very fun, to watch Ray review himself. Music is much like Surgeons performing surgery. You improve even if you are in your 60s, as long as you put in the work and effort. Thank you Ray for being an inspiration. Need to go back to practice suturing. 1 Reply @Oswaldfiveo 8 months ago I LOVE your tone and phrasing. The winner IMHO! 🏆 Reply @edcew8236 8 months ago I like your lightness and especially your effective dynamics. 1 Reply @cindylau8797 8 months ago I burst into tears when you talked to young Ray😢 Reply @michaelsproule2508 8 months ago I think those octaves near the end are that hard! So many people miss them, even on recording! Always a nail biter, that passage! Reply @adrianwdsouza 8 months ago Ray, your performance in Melbourne in July 2023 rates really well too! We really liked the playfulness you brought to it Reply @RayChenViolinist 8 months ago Can you guess who the mystery musician is based on the thumbnail? 😊 10 Reply 8 replies @bernhard2269 8 months ago I had the honor to play the Tchaikowsky concerto in the orchestra with the wonderful Lidia Baich. It was mindblowing. My favorite recording is from Vadim Repin! 1 Reply @jnee3873 8 months ago oh My Good, You need a part 2, I mean, your tonic studio at January 13th was so good, singing and tchaikovsky❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤. Jay Chou 6 Reply @damoonchaghomy 8 months ago The best performance belongs to Janine Jansen Julia fischer And finally Augustin Hadelich with amazing sound (Leduc) 3 Reply @marikothecheetah9342 8 months ago As a classical music enthusiast (I don't play) I absolutely love Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto No.1. It has softness, all those trinkets, swirls, and ribbons, it's so colourful (music synesthesia speaking here). These kind of pieces make me want to learn violin at the age of 40... XD Reply @sam8603 8 months ago Brett Yang’s Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto is my favourite! 7 Reply @kristingarson2413 8 months ago When the Tchaikovsky violin Concerto was first premiered, it was considered unplayable! Reply @zinkmystic88 6 months ago Cant wait to perform this with you at Interlochen 2024! Reply @lydieviolinart 2 weeks ago Your reviews are so helpfull. Thank you Reply @AngelTing 8 months ago (edited) I have to say it is your interpretation that makes me love Tchaikovsky! And your video accompanies me as I work every day recently (not a good idea though, coz I will keep watching you play the piece but forget my work 😂). And pls don’t feel bad for young Ray, he is being compared to some of the very best violinists, he was actually doing not bad! 2 Reply @katyb2793 8 months ago These are so informative and interesting to watch (and fun!) no matter what instrument you play. Thank you Ray 💕 Reply @sabrinai 8 months ago Please include Hilary's I believe latest recording of Tchaik with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony in your next review 😇. 8 Reply 3 replies @pradagio_ 8 months ago These analyses by Ray are truly amazing and inspiraytional!! Reply @johnlam7036 5 months ago Best episode, wanna see more young Ray. Your mom looks good in the photo Reply @theantihunter 8 months ago You should do one of these for Zigeunerweisen, Sarasate! And compare other's performances to his own recording he did!! Keep on being awesome Ray 🙏 Reply @chrisma3256 8 months ago I love this concert so much ❤ thanks for this video 😊 2 Reply @agatafurczyk9149 8 months ago Nice! 😄I've got a bit bumpy relationship with Tchaikovsky concerto - we didn't start getting along right off the bat. But I've listened to it a few times since then and it starts growing on me 😊. Really good examples of how differently it can be played 😄. This time I'm unable to choose which one I like best! 4 Reply @kimmerrou 8 months ago Heifetz....and for kicks Joshua Bell performing with the National Youth Orchestra at Proms. Reply @danaray7312 8 months ago Ray Chen, your descriptive explanations really help me become a better musician, thank you so much! But please do Augustin Hadelich, a master interpreter! 3 Reply 1 reply @natashastic 8 months ago (edited) I'm really looking forward to your Tchaikovsky concerto concert, which will be held in Seoul😆🤍 Reply @lopezjuan316jl 8 months ago (edited) Personally my favourite version is the one of Mischa Elman, he played it SO BEATIFULLY and had THAT sound, I am impressed every time I listen to it. Heifetz has the same notes because I think that it is an Auer’s arrengement but I personally enjoy more Mischa’s versions Reply @fool3087 8 months ago theres just so many great tchaikovsky performances Reply @susanbryant6516 8 months ago Love this video, I really enjoyed hearing the comparisons and explanations. Reply @zemresende 8 months ago Very interesting to see the difference between young nervous complex minded Ray and grown mature calm simple Ray , it’s of course the years of practice make him play better but makes me think that in the end of the day it’s all much more a matter of mindset than anything else. Reply @benjaminbleam7054 8 months ago Love the mic set up when you’re playing 👌 sounds fabulous Reply @Wooviolin 8 months ago Midori with Abbado and Berlin 2 Reply 1 reply @micahmilton1101 8 months ago (edited) You need to review Hillary Hahns Tchaikovsky! Her latest recording with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra is amazing! Reply @rikspector 8 months ago Ray, You are helping me to develop my ear for violin nuances Cheers, Rik Spector Reply @Poke9403 8 months ago Brett's of course 😁 3 Reply 3 replies @ToRung 8 months ago pleased to meet you💞🎉😍 4 Reply @aquamarine9568 8 months ago Ray’s Tchaikovsky is one of my favourites. I can’t remember which symphony he was playing with, but it’s the one where he breaks his e string. Reply @gustavmahler3228 8 months ago joshua bell has my favorite interpretation Reply @istvanpinter7618 8 months ago Form me Vladimir Spivakov is the best Tchaikovsky interpreter among other very good violinists who, however can come only second after him. Reply @chenannabel6256 8 months ago The best one goes to Ray 🤩Greeetings from Taiwan and happy new year 2024 ❤ Reply @dominiccordova8347 8 months ago Hey Mr. Chen. Love your work. U should do an analysis on Nathan Milstein's Paganiniana and other great examples of the work done through the years. Also, a review of Vengerov's fabulous Ysaye #3 ballade would be popular I am thinking. You have a serious talent for analysis besides your obvious virtuoso playing. Good Day to you. 1 Reply @RosyOutlook17 8 months ago Aside from this piece, you need to review Roman Kim’s Beethoven 5th Symphony video. That guy is truly a wonder. Reply @João-t5h 8 months ago I love This serie Reply @rolingstongomes3914 4 months ago Hi Ray, I really love all your videos and I am your biggest fan. I to play the violin but I’m nowhere as good as you are. I really look up to you and even David Garrot played this Tchaikovsky violin Concerto but I really wish you featured him more in your videos Reply @alexsaldarriaga8318 8 months ago Very insightful and entertaining as always. I grew listening to the Heifetz recording. But my favorite is Milstein’s interpretation. Reply @linsterlin9185 8 months ago so amusing reaction to the YOUNG RAY! Reply @michaelsproule2508 8 months ago Just checked out your video on the Mendelssohn performances. Hilary's doing fingered octaves at the end of the first page! Reply @cks8465 8 months ago Love your videos and Tonic app! I was wondering if there could be an option to opt out of the leagues. 1 Reply @stanhady5697 5 months ago Perlman for me thank you very much. :) Reply @ideasmatter4737 8 months ago Your mentioning that you were on a Strad makes me think that interpretation is probably influenced by the voice of the soloist’s instrument. You and TwoSet did some fun instrument comparisons a while back that were quite informative in that regard. Reply @lucindakubitz8193 8 months ago ❤It would have to be Pauk's 1962 recording with the London Symphony Orchestra. My father owned this record and it was my introduction to the classical violin and hence my love of the instrument. Hours listening to this through enormous late 60s headphones. Then I listened to Itzak, then Hilary Hahn, then yours. Reply 1 reply @leonardobastos1945 8 months ago GREAT video, Ray! Eager for more performance analysis... 1 Reply @lingling-gh6pw 8 months ago Can you do Brahms violin concerto next time? Love this set of videos! Reply @exerseven 8 months ago I really love Julia fisher Reply @BlackViolinist_ 8 months ago I will continue practice when I get a new violin🤦I keep hearing the performances saying go practice😢 8:02 1 Reply @damshek 8 months ago To be fair to your younger self, the answer to "Are those octaves that hard!?" is objectively "yes!" Reply @aidehecker8011 8 months ago Can’t wait Reply @spacejackson1612 8 months ago Why isn’t there Heifetz and Kogan 😢 Really hope there’s is a episode 2 for Tchaikovsky concerto please ~~~~ Reply @michaelgay7649 7 months ago $4.99 Thanks! Reply @oiarasilva5790 4 months ago Beathiful 🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷 Reply @shannonmoro401 8 months ago I can not wait to see it. Should be fun to watch and learn. Reply @celli_ec._. 8 months ago Ray’s Tchaikovsky violin concerto is by far my favorite ❤️! Can you review Hadelichs Tchaikovsky too! Reply @ElMcMeen1a 8 months ago Love these videos! Reply @AE-uo3fd 8 months ago What an interesting video. Definitely, though, Heifetz should be included in a future showdown. As Oistrakh himself reportedly said, “There are many violinists, but only one Heifetz.” My favourite recording, is Heifetz/Reiner 1957, but curiously there is an earlier version with the London Symphony Orchestra under Barbirolli, 1937, which is available on YouTube. This recording has an entirely different build up to the first great fanfare, in the first movement. It happens at about the 5:30 mark. My question is whether this was meant to be, as it almost sounds like Heifetz is messing up and then recovering. Perhaps, you could give it a listen and give your opinion. Thanks so much. Love your posts. 2 Reply @NorbyHofner 8 months ago Tomorrow I will hear your version in Eindhoven Holland❤ 2 Reply @ju.snooker 8 months ago Four Seasons Showdown please Ray 🙏 1 Reply @AndySaenz924 8 months ago 10:38 Encouragement is spelled wrong right there! 1 Reply @ascendedbox612 8 months ago 8:35 insane flexing 😭 Reply @Mr_Lyric 8 months ago Please do paganini concerto no. 1, and please include the shlomo mintz performance, bearing in mind he was called upon to perform it with 1 week’s notice because itzak perlman was sick Reply @amatistadeleon5879 8 months ago Please heifetz, vengerov 1 Reply @sk010h 8 months ago Love this series! Please make more videos comparing interpretations of other concertos (both Prokofiev, Brahms, Beethoven, Dvorak, etc….)! Reply 1 reply @justust1923 8 months ago The last note being muted is soo unsettling..😅 2 Reply @twhis9843 8 months ago Oistrakh was sooo Russian, like a folk fiddler. There are lots of great ones but David played Tchaikovsky like no else. 1 Reply @vanessaroediger4829 8 months ago Hi, I would like to nominate Phillipe Hirschhorn. Quite possibly due to his untimely death almost 30 years ago, the video recordings of his performances are scarce. However, there is an audio recording of him on the piece. In it, he performed with the Bamberger Sinfoniker with Ferdinand Leitner as conductor in May 1977. The record label is Dorami. Alternatively, I am putting Augustin Hadelich in the race. Thank you for your great content and for being You. Reply @rikuchun3748 8 months ago I hope someday he might be able to do a video of David Nadien's playing <3 Ray Reply @alexandresilva3427 8 months ago I really liked Alena's interpertation, it was tender but not sappy. Reply @kristingarson2413 8 months ago It was written for Leopold Auer, and he canceled the premiere performance, considering it unplayable. Two years later, Adolf Brodsky performed this piece. Anyone who performs this piece half-way decently should commend themselves. Reply @davidlaymen5175 8 months ago Please review Julia Fischer and Maxim Vengerov recordings 2 Reply 1 reply @nancyjfs 8 months ago (edited) Who could possibly win the most adorable, nervous-but-playing anyway, distracted by their online views than Brett with Eddy as the orchestra?!!! Every other soloist has a professional orchestra behind them. Brett has Eddy!!! It has to be called "EPIC"! 2 Reply @DrenchBeastLariat 8 months ago Please do bruch no 1 next!! Reply @MrzRoblox 8 months ago (edited) So skilled! And talented and inspiring and iconic! Reply @aibohphobia 8 months ago Lol just as he's going to play it this evening, counting down! Reply @rimurutempest4759 8 months ago Do the bruch violin concerto next please <3 Reply @paparatzz7531 8 months ago Ivry Gitlis, my favorite Reply @jacobtapianieto9655 8 months ago Heifetz playing the Auer version. Reply @purpleicecreampianolover 3 months ago 10:44 that hehe 🤣 Reply @AndySaenz924 8 months ago Ray sees himself playing Tchaikovsky Also Ray: mmmm, not bad! Reply 1 reply @zacarymiguel7127 8 months ago Please if you do beethoven, Clara Jumi is one of the bestto include. Reply @Vesperas_ 8 months ago Ray, You'll probably never see this but I'm curious what the logic is behind these videos? These pieces have all been performed many times, by many different people, and even a single soloist will perform it differently from one concert to another. I feel like the only way to really compare them would be to listen to a single recording that each soloist provided themselves, as the performance they're the most proud of, or best encapsulates their own interpretation of the piece. I write this because I've heard performances of the same piece, by the same soloist, that I've both liked and disliked. I think the violin itself can have an immense impact as well. Reply @Ad.m.08 8 months ago Nemanja Radulovic !! Reply @vedantagarwal5268 8 months ago Dude, you have got to react to this piece by Xavier Foley - Soul Bass Concerto. the third movement is so good. And unique. Reply @미린박 8 months ago Can you review Saint saëns concerto no.3 next?? Reply @yonatangodley8992 8 months ago Can you make a Day in a life video? Reply @kaistinakemperdahl9667 8 months ago This concerto never made sense to me until I heard Kopatchinskaja's version of it. It’s quite crazy and doesn’t always sound pretty, but it tells a story. May I place a wish for you to review that version in another video? 1 Reply 2 replies @vincentgaetan4801 6 months ago Repin, never ask, just Repin Reply @patmorris4306 8 months ago Hilary hahn duh, please!!! Reply @sabrinai 8 months ago The "hihi" in the end😂. Reply @jameschristiansson3137 8 months ago "28-year-old Ray Chen is rocking the world" Reply @KitchenKnife0 8 months ago David Garrett and Maxim Vengerov~~ Reply @lucienazario2786 8 months ago Why not make a review of David Garrett's performances? This would be exciting!!! 1 Reply 2 replies @Sarcalamu-cm7jk 8 months ago I enjoy your videos Reply @palpalonpalpalon 7 months ago nice video but you cant make a video about tchaikovskys violin concerto without heifetz.. Reply @師太滅絕 8 months ago What about review Ruggiero Ricci vs Isaac Stein in Beethoven D major, comparing the difference between American and Continental (italy) playing? Reply 2 replies @lyas9 7 months ago That's Igor Oistrakh insert picture not David at the beginning😉 Reply @christinewong431 8 months ago Hope seeing Mendelssohn! Reply 1 reply @basilcasteleyn4777 8 months ago next brahms showdown pleasee Reply @marlenepereiradesouza474 8 months ago Hi ray chen 1 Reply @RobW1836 8 months ago I want to see this done for the Sibelius. I mean, Oistrakh will clean up, but... Reply 1 reply @thevector384 8 months ago You should listen to Patricia kopatchinskaja both recording and live performance it's just....😅😅😅 Reply @BrandonMoya-e6l 8 months ago Can you make one video about the Beethoven Concerto? Reply @teckyify 8 months ago You play so much more aggressive than Oistrakh 💀 2 Reply @liselottepolman2939 8 months ago see you tomorrow Ray 🎻🫶💕 1 Reply @ShabibAnsari 8 months ago Love this content Ray. I learn so much from you Reply @luisestebanr6311 8 months ago Potencia❤ 1 Reply 1 reply @asherwade 8 months ago I’d really like to know your opinion of (a) Julia Fischer & (b) Ivry Gitllis …compared to the ones you picked in this video-? Reply @jamesrawlins735 8 months ago (edited) WHERE'S HEIFETZ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? He's the first violinist I think of when it comes to the Tchaikovsky (his recording with Reiner and the CSO is my personal favorite). Reply @dkalir 8 months ago Gil Shazam, the “Covid concert” )no audience). Best ever Tchaikovsky, in my mind. Reply @SahibKaur41 8 months ago You just earned a suubbsscrriibbbeeerr!❤ Reply @calaf1816 8 months ago what do you think about Kyung-Hwa Chung ? Reply @lizisabellagarciaduran1226 8 months ago Pliss ray review haledich Reply @litbeatzzz 8 months ago That last guy is not bad Reply @epikur394 8 months ago The Janine Jansen imitation😂 Reply @angelicwish8190 8 months ago ❤❤❤❤ Reply @peterbaxter8151 8 months ago Not including Leonid Kogan’s recording in 1959 with Constantin Silvestri conducting suggests you have not listened enough. Reply 1 reply @mikxo1301 8 months ago ray could you upload your tchaikovsky performance with the Seattle Symphony on your channel? the video that they uploaded got taken down due to copyright. Reply @JacquesLuu 8 months ago 3:45 lmfao it's not david oistrakh it's his son aka igor 1 Reply @bryantan1952 8 months ago Midori pour favor! 1 Reply 1 reply @fool3087 8 months ago if you ever do tchaik again you gotta have timothy chooi Reply @damianopavan2118 8 months ago Congratulations on your sense of self-irony: only great artists know how to show and joke about their mistakes! Reply @axeldominguez6402 8 months ago I love you Reply @ABC-dj5gj 7 months ago 👏❤👏 Reply @iheartsnape 8 months ago Where did you get that fuzzy sweatshirt? Looks so warm and cozy and I want one! Reply 1 reply @nskimharris 8 months ago I like your way better Reply @Hackmiss 8 months ago ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ Reply @Wandyissocute 8 months ago He use winter for Tchaikovsky review and use Tchaikovsky for Vibrato video lol 1 Reply @jonhh6918 8 months ago Evgeny Bushkov Reply @ushumirsky 8 months ago Sadly this concerto does nothing for me. Would love to see the Beethoven violin concerto showdown. Reply @ioana938 6 months ago Igor Oistrach? where is he? and Vengerov? I mean.... bring on the Russians with impeccable technique and a lot of story telling to tell.... Reply @quest-cequecesttonvisage 8 months ago What about janine ? Reply @Nikitas111 8 months ago Spinakov Reply @joshablatzheim9075 8 months ago (edited) Dear Ray, Do make in your Reportage "Anne🙏🙏🙏" (Anne Sophie Mutter) with "Het Concertgebouw Orkest Amsterdam " ,pleeeeeease🙏🙏🙏" that would be great‼️ Your Tenor-Violist-Collegue, Josha ️= for ya a Violon,for me a Viola from 🇪🇺🇩🇪 Reply @ModusVivendiMedia 8 months ago What, no Midori?? Reply @budsbd 8 months ago This is great - but almost ruined by the incredibly heavy-handed edit. The content speaks for itself and doesn't need all these bells and whistles. 1 Reply @jaegertiger384 8 months ago A R E T H O S E O C T A V E S T H A T H A R D ??? 2 Reply @violins-bg3ze 8 months ago I think the "popping" Oistrakh on the right is Igor ( his son) not David 😂 Reply 1 reply @cleavelandrugreanrob4034 8 months ago Mr Chen, I hope I find you well and in convivial spirits. May I please ask, have you heard and watched Heifetz rendition of the Tchaikovsky concerto yet? If so, what do you think of it? Thank you Mr Chen. Stay well and take care of yourself. Reply @jannyjahja3562 6 months ago So why you keep breaking your strings on this piece? Reply @shvartze 7 months ago Ray needs to take some time out and learn a wrist vibrato. That heavy warble arm vibrato is a deal breaker for top level. Reply @tbarrelier 8 months ago Ray, how can you have a Tchaikovsky showdown without Heifetz???? 1 Reply @frew9286 8 months ago Listen to Sergey Krylov Reply @OGksh 4 months ago до муражек.... Reply @echen1716 7 months ago 😂 @ this young man Reply @marilynmansonfan181 8 months ago 3:43 This is not Oistrakh Reply 2 replies @Maca494 8 months ago (edited) leave young Ray alone!!! 🤣 Reply @anna.5956 8 months ago Heifetz Reply @diegovaca1396 8 months ago WHAT HAPEN WITH YOU, JUNG RAY? Reply @robinshen8364 8 months ago I wish I was good enough to hear the differences but sadly they all kind of sound the same to me. Reply @curtiscroulet8715 8 months ago Sorry -- but I never heard of Baeva before I saw this video. Speaking as a listener, I liked what I heard from her more than the others. Oistrakh and Perlman like to milk the "Slavic soul" aspect of this. The concerto invites that approach, but it's a bit much for me. Reply @stephenj.wiener9961 8 months ago I think you forgot someone. Think hard. Reply @НиколайГеоргиевич-ю3д 8 months ago Очень много неточности. Видно что не научили основным правилам музыки, тональность, метр и ритм.Я о вас. Reply @FodorPupil 8 months ago (edited) It's comical how no one acknowledges Nigel Kennedy for "being allowed" to play the 4 seasons in a "cool" way, yet literally EVERYONE copies Nigel. Own it and give credit where credit is due. Thanks, Nigel!!! And while I'm at it, not including the greatest American violinist's Tchaik is intolerable and disgraceful. Love you, Ray, but wow. 2 Reply @fatdoi003 8 months ago (edited) oistrakh has more substance.... More meat on the bone to chew on so to speak... 2 Reply @raoulduke8720 8 months ago pls let us listen without you interrupting man :( Reply 1 reply @louiscatorce9992 8 months ago dont lke me Ray...sorry. Yo´re the w Transcript Intro 0:00 who has the best chaikovsky violent kto 0:01 well obviously it's down to your 0:03 personal preferences the chaikovsky 0:05 violent kto is probably the most popular 0:07 piece ever written for violent and 0:09 Orchestra and every single violence that 0:11 you've ever heard of probably has a 0:12 recording of it somewhere on YouTube I 0:14 mean even for me it was my personal 0:16 weapon of choice when I won the 0:17 competition that launched my career now 0:18 with such a popular piece there's 0:20 undoubtedly many different 0:21 interpretations of it so today we're on 0:22 a quest again to find the best aspects 0:25 of each performer we've got a lineup of 0:28 star soloists and we're going to find 0:29 out who has the best chovsky all right David Oistrakh 0:31 so first up we have David oystar now I'm 0:33 super excited because this is considered 0:34 one of the best performances of the 0:37 [Music] 0:50 piece all right I just want to pause 0:52 there and just like say that even that 0:54 intro is just so beautiful he uses a lot 0:57 of bow in his sound so he's got that 1:00 that lift already automatically so when 1:02 you think about chovsky and and the 1:03 phrasing it's very much all about that 1:06 that air even in the lusious part you 1:08 always have this sort 1:10 [Music] 1:17 of you always have this beautiful phrase 1:21 that 1:28 Soares 1:32 there's just so much storytelling behind 1:33 David oyra sound like for example the 1:35 Once Upon a 1:37 [Music] 1:41 Time and then there's 1:44 more 1:45 [Music] 1:49 here I I definitely model my chaikovsky 1:53 performance after his it's that 1:58 good 2:04 he's so strong and austere but then yet 2:06 he has this incredible like vulnerable 2:09 sound it's like so creamy it's so 2:12 buttery so instead of like let's say 2:15 just the 2:19 AER but then just the vulnerability it 2:21 would be 2:25 like but then when you combine the both 2:27 it's 2:28 like 2:31 [Music] 2:36 that's depth right 2:45 there I remember being very kind of 2:48 confused at this point because he plays 2:50 it quite with a lot of like Panache 2:54 right he's using the right amount extra 2:58 articulation from what we're hearing in 3:00 from the close mics and then when you're 3:01 in the hall it just comes out like the 3:04 steps on point of the ballet in effect 3:06 when you're hearing from far away then 3:08 becomes 3:12 like those are great performance all Itzhak Perlman 3:14 right we're going to move on we have 3:15 Pearlman next oh let's let's let's hear 3:17 him 3:18 [Music] 3:26 play wow he's really milking it 3:39 you can hear he's like really expanding 3:42 out that intro Oyo kind of just went 3:44 through it I would say more elegant 3:46 you've got Pearlman here who's doing it 3:48 in a much more grander sort of like as 3:51 was the style I think in the '90s 3:59 M I was so sure that he was going to be 4:02 really milking that 4:06 part but instead he's just like pretty 4:08 pretty straightforward 4:10 here plays it very 4:16 simply which is also really nice I think 4:18 that there's a balance at the end but 4:20 it's so cool to be able to try 4:21 everything and try everything you should 4:22 try down in front of people by the way I 4:24 might add that's when you can get the 4:25 most feedback I used to practice in 4:27 front of my mom all the time but then 4:28 when I moved away I could practice in 4:30 front of her anymore I never forgot that 4:32 feeling of being able to play in front 4:33 of others and so that's why I've been 4:35 working on for the past 2 years a space 4:37 where everyone can come together 4:38 practice together get feedback from each 4:40 other and it's called tonic on tonic you 4:42 can do all sorts of things you there's 4:44 practice challenges you can get 4:45 motivated you can make friends see 4:47 others who are also practicing the same 4:49 pieces as you are it's free so 4:51 definitely go check it out all right 4:52 want to hear the end of the chovsky 4:53 played by 4:57 prman wow 5:03 check out this part here he's using 5:04 what's known as a vibr Trill I think 5:07 this happens because pearlman's fingers 5:08 are just so 5:12 thick you can see it right 5:15 here right there so yeah you can see 5:17 that he's using the V 5:18 [Music] 5:21 Trail wait I don't think he's playing 5:23 the top note of the octave cuz his 5:25 finger isn't near the E 5:28 string 5:31 oh my gosh he's relying on the harmonics 5:34 the natural frequency of the 5:37 note I'm not playing the E string at 5:41 all 5:42 wow I never knew that that was an Easter 5:45 egg discovered today so you can see 5:47 there are different tricks and different 5:49 uh techniques used by different artists 5:51 all right the next person is Elena Alena Baeva 5:58 baa 6:01 [Music] 6:08 okay a lot more 6:10 [Music] 6:16 Airy reminds me of Yin yansen style that 6:19 has like 6:20 [Music] 6:27 [Music] 6:28 the 6:30 uses the air to carry the notes but then 6:34 places the notes intentionally within 6:36 the 6:37 [Music] 6:43 airiness it's a softer approach to it 6:46 it's more intimate yeah which can also 6:48 have the effect of bringing the listener 6:54 in you see right there it was a soft 6:58 Landing 7:00 [Music] 7:05 I'm sure it's going to sound like 7:09 this yeah see it's never hit this would 7:13 be hit by by 7:14 [Music] 7:21 contrast remember Oyo version of this 7:25 this is like almost the opposite of 7:28 that 7:41 wow wow I don't think I've ever heard 7:44 such like a light 7:47 [Music] 7:52 chaikovsky very cool so you can see 7:54 already three very very different 7:57 interpretations of the chovsky let's 7:59 move on we've still got one more wow is Mystery musician 8:01 this 8:03 mine why didn't you guys tell 8:07 me 8:09 [Music] 8:13 o not 8:24 [Music] 8:25 bad oh hey guys that's not that's not 8:28 bad even from the the first note I was 8:29 like wo that's a juicy a it was 8:32 like it had that like M that was my 8:35 first Strat of various that I ever 8:37 played ah you never forget your 8:41 first it's also very light but has like 8:44 heaviness to it 8:46 [Music] 8:54 too so being as objective as I can be 8:56 I'm just listening to this young young 8:59 man let's address him as that and I 9:01 would say that it's like a very honest 9:02 it's very direct way of playing I didn't 9:05 think so at the time I was just trying 9:07 to you know play remember what I said 9:09 before it's like when do you listen to 9:11 these if you're in a timeline where 9:13 things are very simple then you want 9:15 something more complex but if you're 9:17 living in a timeline where everything's 9:18 chaos you don't know what to believe 9:20 then honest playing really comes through 9:23 in a very nice 9:24 [Music] 9:28 way oh not 9:34 bad yeah quite 9:36 dainty oh but with like also with 9:41 substance you'll notice that I do like 9:43 occasional side eyes I'll look towards 9:45 the audience because I didn't have a lot 9:47 of experience playing in large spaces 9:49 this was my way of just trying to like 9:51 remind myself that I'm in this hug space 9:54 I need to project I need to include 9:58 everyone 10:02 wow a little little intonation 10:04 [Music] 10:08 there oh holding back I would not agree 10:11 with that interpretation right 10:23 now that's not a pleasant sound right 10:26 there I think I was uh very nervous 10:29 what was going on young Ray come 10:33 on are those octaves that hard I would 10:36 give him a lot of encouragement and hope 10:39 and wish that he continues to grow and 10:42 be happy and have a successful career so 10:45 that's all we have time for today thank 10:47 you so much for watching this and I hope 10:48 you found it helpful as well as 10:50 interesting to hear all the different 10:51 types of interpretations that you can 10:53 have for a piece definitely keep 10:55 practicing oh and if you want to hear 10:57 some of my other practice challenges or 11:00 interpretations where we dive in and see 11:02 who has the best Mendon or SAS go check 11:04 out those videos as well for now I'll 11:06 see you in the next one 11:10 bye

No comments: