Monday, February 06, 2023

Elaine Hsiao on human microbiome and gut-brain link

Mind-altering microbes: how the microbiome affects brain and behavior: Elaine Hsiao at TEDxCaltech TEDx Talks 37.5M subscribers Subscribe 5K Share 352,379 views Feb 8, 2013 Elaine Hsiao is a postdoctoral fellow in chemistry and biology at Caltech. She received her undergraduate degree in microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics from UCLA and her doctoral degree in neurobiology from Caltech with Professor Paul Patterson. She studied neuroimmune mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis of neurodevelopmental disorders and uncovered a role for the commensal microbiota in regulating autism-related behaviors, metabolism, and intestinal physiology. Elaine has received several honors, including predoctoral fellowships from the National Institute of Health, Autism Speaks and the Caltech Innovation Program. She is currently studying the mechanisms by which microbes modulate host production of neuroactive molecules and aims to better understand how the human microbiota influences health and disease. In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations) On January 18, 2013, Caltech hosted TEDxCaltech: The Brain, a forward-looking celebration of humankind's quest to understand the brain, by exploring the past, present and future of neuroscience. Visit TEDxCaltech.com for more details. Chapters View all 248 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Lao Mark Lao Mark 5 years ago Exellent Elaine. Your speach further reinforces what have experienced/ observed with aquatic animals ( aquaculture) and have been "defending"/promoting for 30 years. In fact I published 2 papers relating the importance of these microbes and that our current civilization quasi-obcessive desire to eliminate microbes is naive, unnatural and counter productive. What we should be doing is promoting the growth of selected beneficial microbes to overcome the detrimental ones. We have to join forces with the billion old evolution and "wisdom" of Nature, not fight against it! I have no doubt that this field will grow immensly and will spread to most areas of our lives and industries. 12 Reply Cdictator Cdictator 2 years ago This lady is brilliant. I spent 7 years of my life studying bacteroide fragilis. 13 Reply Enric Enric 8 years ago Excellent talk, such an amazing field of research. 19 Reply 1 reply MB MB 2 years ago Actually constantly doing behaviors that boosts your normal microbiome is essential for overall good health ( exercise, eating high fiber diet, and taking probiotics regularly) I have IBS and it totally gets to me, after switching to this healthy lifestyle my guts function amazingly and I feel much better! 3 Reply Deborah Wilson Deborah Wilson 9 years ago Great video. Logically too. It's exciting to think what medical breakthroughs will follow. 3 Reply Erick Bair Erick Bair 8 years ago It is extremely sad that this video which has some of the most important recently discovered about how our brain works only has 20k views! Obviously everyone needs to know this information: That what lives in your gut affects your brain, directly!! I suffered from an anxiety disorder all my life, it got really bad a few years ago. before seeing this video a year ago I did the candida diet and cured myself of that horrible ailment. Using probiotics and anti-fungal/anti-bacterial foods my gut is much more healthy and my brain works so much better. 158 Reply 17 replies iterbeijing iterbeijing 9 years ago Brilliant. Have seen reports in the media of parents completely adjusting their child's diet, which has affected autism symptoms in positive ways. There's no question that diet is everything. 2 Reply Khon Lieu Khon Lieu 9 years ago Awesome stuff! can't wait for more progress in this field. 4 Reply 1 reply ontheedge33371 ontheedge33371 2 years ago (edited) Yesterday I was really hungry and was aware my stomach was doing a lot of my thinking .. it was more of a revelation than just a passing thought . This speaker is giving me that revelation even more and I should test to quickly explain why . I have always had anxiety and it’s always affected my eating in a big way . I had very bad stomach aches specially from the age of about 5 to 15 Then I started to get super bad heartburn at 15 until this very day . I could manage with tums as long as I always had some I was ok ! Then I was almost killed at work and crushed my insides rupturing organs shattering pelvis and slicing my femoral artery and the had to cut fairly big portion of my bowel out ... .... I have developed chronic migraines believe a lot of the reason I do get them is from my horrible working guts . I am almost 50 now and have had enough time with it to feel this lady is correct and I appreciate the knowledge . It’s a great help thanks 🥳 8 Reply 1 reply Michael Pondo Michael Pondo 3 years ago This one study is so true. It solve my problem of chronic fatigue and systemic pain. By learning how to balance these microbiomes. I have improved my health and mind plus my energy. And now at 75 i can have a good life after 50 yrs of suffering Reply Laureen Forman Laureen Forman 9 years ago Finally, the word is getting out! Had the honor of meeting Paul Patterson and had a whole hour with him to ask questions about immune issues and Autism. He brought to my attention a great meeting in September 2012 about Autoimmune Issues/CNS and got to see him for a bit while there. We need to get this out of the clinic soon as the Autism rates are not getting any lower. Reply Oswald Digestive Clinic Oswald Digestive Clinic 1 year ago Thanks for sharing! Gut health is so important for brain health! Indicators of a healthy gut include: colon transit time of 12-24 hours, type 4 stool on the Bristol stool chart, not having diarrhea or constipation, having 1-3 bowel movements per day, and light-dark brown colored stools! 1 Reply Username Username 8 years ago Good bacteria in the gut also produces serotonin and B vitamins, this adds to the explanation between the brain and gut. 44 Reply 1 reply Adrian Covert Adrian Covert 9 years ago Great presentation and fascinating topic! Reply Teresa Mèxico Teresa Mèxico 1 year ago How do mind-altering microbes fit into Determinism vs Free will? Interesting info, thank you. 1 Reply Neverhaveiever Neverhaveiever 5 months ago This presentation from 2013 deserves more views! 2 Reply PhotosynthesisLove PhotosynthesisLove 7 years ago So fascinated by this field. 47 Reply 6 replies wafae azrak wafae azrak 5 years ago I wonder if neurologists take this fact into consideration when dealing with mental disorders and their causes!! 3 Reply MrTmax MrTmax 1 year ago I love this, Elaine is awesome :-) Reply Србомбоница 🇷🇸 Србомбоница 🇷🇸 3 years ago (edited) Food does affect our mental health ,my anxiety was the worst in college when I ate a lot of sweets and snacks and junk food,I had no idea at the time ,why I felt so bad,also some food make people more aggressive ,this is why fasting is done in religion, to ease the spiritual battle and help our spiritual fight against lust ,envy,hatred,anger etc.. 28 Reply 2 replies Andrew Burns Andrew Burns 4 years ago I took parasite medicine in october of 2002. The doctor told me "there wont be anything alive in your stomach or digestive tract" after taking it. I had traveled a lot, so I took 2 rounds of them to make sure. this was before we knew about gut health. at the time, I was in charge of 200 people in a foreign country, speaking the language, traveling, having the success I had always wanted. 2 months after taking the pills I was tossing and turning all night, sweating all over, skin burning like it was on fire at times, got hit with a depression darker than I knew could exist. I couldn't get control of my mind for 6 months, stopped communicating with others and climbed into a cave in my mind that i've stayed in for the most part of 15 years now. Never knew what happened, I just knew I changed. Disconnected from all friends and family for 15 years, thinking I had some sort of nervous breakdown. Now I realize I started operating at 10% serotonin and have been slowly climbing, but without knowledge of bacteria until recently. I'm thinking this is my road back to health. what are the best probiotic replacements you have found? 4 Reply 4 replies Portais Music Studio Portais Music Studio 4 years ago Top a palestra e top a palestrante... Reply Narda Narda Narda Narda 8 years ago I've been wondering if the duality of our mind has something to do with our inner ecosystem? Who's really is in control? 38 Reply 5 replies Saurian Scapes Saurian Scapes 7 years ago Incredible stuff. Reply billy pchajek billy pchajek 6 years ago I have recently started having problems with yeast in my gut and even mycillium in my BM. Around the same time I started getting extream anxiety and even flight fight responces at mealtimes. I would never have believed this before it happened to me. Now I am trying to rid myself of this condition but it keeps coming back. I get a sore stomach in my lower digestive tract especialy. It seems like the yeast are spoiling my meals so they can eat? How do I get my microbiom back under controll without starving myself? There are so many quacks out there I need a educated opinion :-) can anyone help? 4 Reply 5 replies TimmyTheAnarchist TimmyTheAnarchist 9 years ago This makes me even more of a hypochondriac than I was before. 14 Reply Zoeii ZiZZles Zoeii ZiZZles 1 year ago I would love to see a study that looks at consciousness as it is related to the gut microbiome. I wonder if we are a hive mind? 1 Reply 1 reply Oren Mesh Oren Mesh 6 years ago Absolutely amazing!! 1 Reply 1 reply ToyHaunter ToyHaunter 7 years ago I personally find this fascinating because I have Asperger's Syndrome. For me, straight milk gives me trouble. I'm not lactose intolerant, because I don't have trouble in my gut. The issue is that it causes a lot of 'static' in my head. I can't concentrate and I become much more sensitive to things. When I switched to lactose-free milk, my symptoms cleared up. I had already heard elsewhere that microbes in the gut could get one of the causes of autistic symptoms. So hearing that it really is possible to remove the worst of it and allow people like me to function on a higher level is promising. I can already pass as a person with full capabilities, but people tend to forget that I don't function quite as good as they might need me to. I hope that more is discovered in the near future for myself and many others who can benefit. 50 Reply 12 replies AznDnker AznDnker 9 years ago I know they have some studies regarding Helicobacter pylori, possibly with that in mind. Browsing through the Sarkis Mazmanian Lab website may help 1 Reply Alex aoeu256 Alex aoeu256 2 years ago Dude you can ferment yogurt at room temperature to make it from milk easier than making popcorn in the microwave in the number of steps, and the same is true of fermenting beans aka Natto although it takes three times as long. Fermenting canned fruit and raisins is also really easy. Buy the cultures at eBay or amazon or wherever. 1 Reply Tina Huston Tina Huston 4 years ago If we could find a way to improve health through microbial treatment, which we can and we do, you can bet that the pharma companies and AMA would be all over it to stop it because it wouldn't be profitable for them. 13 Reply Andrew Burns Andrew Burns 4 years ago its been 5 years since this talk. is there a place where people can go and pick out these specific bugs? Reply Alex aoeu256 Alex aoeu256 5 years ago You can get "mesophilic" yogurt online. This is yogurt that you put a little in milk then it turns to yogurt the next day, then put some of that in more milk and get more yogurt. You can also freeze the yogurt in case you leave the yogurt to ferment to long. Probiotics for cheap! Yogurt is much more filling than the milk that it comes from while having fewer calories, and being able to absorb more of the nutrients because of lactic acid. 1 Reply Kat Jones Kat Jones 3 years ago Wow, great information 😃 Reply 1 reply Zoë Zivkovic Zoë Zivkovic 1 year ago (edited) Wauw this is why ascetic and spiritual people that train the mind, are fasting! That is why fasting works so good and is spot on! Cleaning out all these little demons that consume us whole. Deciding for us and the more we feed them the more out of control we get! So fasting and raw food diet is the solution! And breathing (oxygen heals to!) 2 Reply Jerrod Dumond Jerrod Dumond 5 years ago this is why I take Plexus. Just after two months I am no longer taking anxiety meds and my thinking is much sharper. feeding the good stuff and getting rid of the bad. #healthymicrobiome Reply 2 replies Roger Bird Roger Bird 6 years ago She failed to mention to EAT YOUR SALADS!!!!! And don't use artificial ANYTHING in your food. This is includes industrially derived oils like so-called canola oil. Stick with olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, etc., oils that you might find in a less industrialized society. 26 Reply 1 reply Carroll Hoagland Carroll Hoagland 6 years ago A bit out of date now as we know that it is about a 1:1 ratio of human cells to bacteria cells ... this field changes with the technology. Never the less, the gut bacteria is now being studies as an "Organ" and many consider is as important as the liver. 70 Going On 100 18 Reply 2 replies wordqx wordqx 9 years ago could you provide a link to that study?? Reply Andre Afonso Andre Afonso 6 years ago I'm fascinated by this research. 6 Reply 2 replies The Rich Solution The Rich Solution 3 years ago Microbiome is such a vast and exciting subject! 1 Reply 2 replies David D David D 2 years ago She is so smart and cute. Thank you for sharing your wisdom! 1 Reply Vicaohlaluna Vicaohlaluna 5 years ago (edited) Love the presentation! But I don't like how she refers to the microbiome as 'bugs', why would she do that? Other than that it was very cool! 2 Reply 28kb 28kb 9 years ago Is there links between the types of microbes in your gut and the type of diet you eat? I.e eating mcdonalds create a ecosystem of microbes that effect the brain to be depressed or lethargic Reply Frank From Upstate NY Frank From Upstate NY 9 years ago Dear Elaine Hsiao...are there any human/Caltech studies with FMT therapy as yet, or anywhere else? Reply Abhijit Desai Abhijit Desai 2 years ago (edited) Gut microbes don't just seem to impact human mind, these microbes may have played important role in the evolution of mind itself. Furthermore we may have been accumulating non-active DNA from the symbiotic microbes. 3 Reply Joe Carter Joe Carter 6 years ago Great talk. On a side note: At 0:57 there is an estimate of the ratio for microbial to human cells. Newer estimates for the average man are at 1.3:1 with some wide latitude for uncertainty because of the inherent difficulty in measuring a system as complex as this. I am pretty sure this fact does not take away any of the inductive points in this video. http://www.nature.com/news/scientists-bust-myth-that-our-bodies-have-more-bacteria-than-human-cells-1.19136 2 Reply Observer Observer 6 months ago It's no wonder why people raised in the country are stronger than people raised in the city. MICROBES! 1 Reply YaEl Noir YaEl Noir 3 years ago I think my microbes like her lol. All jokes aside, there is so much more microbes can do. Great talk. Reply Linda J54 Linda J54 11 months ago YT algorithm brought this up in February 2022; probably because of current interest in the gut microbiome research under Prof. Tim Spector and Zoe. Avoid highly processed foods, eat a wide diversity (rainbow) of plant-based foods (aim for 30 types per week; that includes seeds, nuts, herbs & spices) and include fermented vegetables, live yogurt, kefir and kimchee if you can. 1 Reply Stephanie Pabon Stephanie Pabon 2 months ago Its amazing how these commensal microbes weight 2-6 pounds which is the average weight of a human brain. I had no idea that microbes can contribute or affect our brain health and diseases. Vagus nerve extends all the way up the brain stem and this is how bacteria effects depressive behavior. Reply lisaengelbrektson lisaengelbrektson 9 years ago THANK you! Side note: DOWN with antibacterial hand gel! 4 Reply Donald Slayton Donald Slayton 7 years ago Compliments to the chef! Reply 1 reply Technicolor Transformation Technicolor Transformation 5 years ago (edited) I supercharge my Biome once a week. I call it "Power Biome Thursday." My wife calls it "you sleep on the couch tonight." 12 Reply 3 replies Rui-9-CS Rui-9-CS 2 years ago wow, amazing view! Reply Jenn Jenn 7 years ago Would have been better if she elaborated on how autism like symptoms are determined in mice instead of just saying "this is seen in the lower red bar" and not even commenting on what each y-axis is 5 Reply 2 replies Wayne Wayne 7 years ago I cut my carbs and lost my depression. It is true 36 Reply 4 replies Adox Artist Adox Artist 1 year ago While I appreciate the knowledge, research is brutal to the poor subjects. I hate that. 1 Reply EEEMUS EEEMUS 1 year ago Thank you~~|!! Reply Sylvester Tredgett Sylvester Tredgett 3 years ago This is Completely in line with what parents are doing for their autistic kids teating their bowels with MMS also known as chlorine dioxide. The kids do an ATEC test to measure autistic traits. Kids score 90% less after doing strict enema routines. 1 Reply 1 reply Dennis Boyd Dennis Boyd 4 months ago & What would be the effect of eating food with Residual GLYPHOSATE which is in most all food&Drink which has been sprayed by Farmers as an Herbicide to kill weeds BUT it is an antibiotic damaging or killing Gut Bacteria Reply albebo bebo albebo bebo 6 years ago أحد يترجم الفيديو بالعربي؟ Reply jackchorn jackchorn 7 years ago human brains have become smaller since agriculture. Neanderthal brains on average were 25% larger. Is the reality we create because of the little critters we consume and grow in us? Maybe eating grasses produces a violent behavior- or a Machiavellian behavior. Wouldn't that be a funny realization. Then you would have groups trying to rid this food source and others who prefer it, trying to deliver s much as possible. Fill the stomach but not the mind. Reply 2 replies Tom Hill Tom Hill 8 years ago I work with people with Autism. They ALL are on high sugar high carb diets, not what we choose but what their families have given them. Some will only drink Coke. Nearly all have stomach issues, I've never met an Autistic child that has a healthy whole food diet. 16 Reply 4 replies 1966human 1966human 9 years ago Ive seen people flip out and go mad, about one or two days before flue symptoms come out Reply Celsa Prado Celsa Prado 1 year ago Thank you Reply Izky Khan Izky Khan 4 years ago It means that stomach diarrhea can cause and produce anxiety and depression in your brain Reply 1 reply zak edelman zak edelman 3 years ago Might biochar assist this mechanismo?? Reply Lisa Says Lisa Says 8 years ago Probably too simplistic, but would this support an argument against antibacterial hand gel? That stuff is the worst, for obvious reasons, but who knows? Maybe even worse than I already believed... 16 Reply 3 replies Yvette Landreneau Yvette Landreneau 9 years ago Really good info,. just wonderfing though,. why were the mice depressed?? 12 Reply 2 replies Julian Pursell Julian Pursell 9 years ago Febrility and autism: When autistic people have influenza, the change in empathy is astounding! 1 Reply 1 reply annu mungara annu mungara 2 years ago I should have watched it 7 years ago 1 Reply Firstname Lastname Firstname Lastname 7 years ago I'm in love with this girl. 2 Reply 2 replies Dancing Spiderman Dancing Spiderman 7 years ago She activates my Vegas Nerve. Badd. 12 Reply Josh Austin Josh Austin 2 years ago "GUT OVER MIND OVER MATTER"-Me 3 Reply James Kalmakoff James Kalmakoff 9 years ago When can I get the 'happy' microbial gut transplant? 1 Reply mattstofko mattstofko 6 years ago Do dental X rays kill the mouth microbiota? Reply nipi tiri nipi tiri 4 years ago I am a walking talking ecosystem!!! Reply mahesh debata mahesh debata 11 months ago Very good is sufficient Reply Abiral Nidhi Abiral Nidhi 5 years ago How do you know a mouse is depressed? 1 Reply benjamin bougie benjamin bougie 6 years ago what i need is an oxygen tank or cryogen treatment Reply Spiraling Universe Spiraling Universe 5 years ago Bacteria cure pill is possible. Far future u could take bacteria pill and have super powers. Reply guy who might have aspergers needs life advice guy who might have aspergers needs life advice 6 years ago How did they figure out some of this stuff? Reply 3 replies DeadPeopleDontDrinkWater DeadPeopleDontDrinkWater 6 years ago Hello, I have a question for you on how this might affect mental health? My son killed himself so I am wondering would microbes have an effect on what people might do? Reply 2 replies io yo io yo 6 years ago how can she say that, " Our bodies are comprised of 10 times more microbial cells than our own, human eukaryotic cells." DAFUQ, so then WTF ????????? Reply 1 reply benjamin bougie benjamin bougie 6 years ago iv tryed colloidal silver>>> salt baths everything nothing seems to budge them and theyv got so big that they cant get back into my head Reply benjamin bougie benjamin bougie 6 years ago they riggle constantly all over me as specialy if someont is angry around me they react to other poeples vibes>>> its fucking insan find a way to sort it out what can i do>>>??? Reply Unani Doctor Khairul Alam Unani Doctor Khairul Alam 9 months ago Oh fine mechanism Reply Khalid Kay Khalid Kay 6 years ago Her intro is very similar to the other guy - did he plagiarize her? 1 Reply Cheesecake fan Cheesecake fan 1 year ago Kefir, Kombucha and Cultured vegetables EVERYDAY Reply 1 reply crazy morr crazy morr 7 years ago can someone plz answers me how do we make a autistic mice? 1 Reply 3 replies Mr.Rogers Play House Mr.Rogers Play House 4 years ago Stop the 🍦, 🐟,🍸, Smoking, 🍔Fast Food🍟, GMO'S and 🍏EAT YOUR GREENS🍏. 2 Reply D Czeny D Czeny 8 years ago how do you measure a mouse for autism? 1 Reply 1 reply Mari Brunnsteiner Mari Brunnsteiner 1 year ago Bugs are scary you know that right? And why u kept mentioning the same word "bugs " there and bugs here instead of describing them as " good microbes" ? 1 Reply A G A G 11 months ago Ignore the woke new age BS of no meats no dairy. Follow the Eastern cultures. Lard, ghee, kefir, fish - all have extremely important microbiome positive ingredients. 1 Reply 28kb 28kb 9 years ago Got that idea from rich roll and jre podcast btw Reply El Gavilan El Gavilan 3 years ago Viva las Vagus! 8 Reply Carlos Sagnay Carlos Sagnay 3 years ago South Park ? Reply UnaSalus UnaSalus 2 years ago Whaaaaaaaaaaa? Reply Krystle Boss Krystle Boss 2 years ago The amount of casual sexism in the comments section is why women in science are tired. Anyone whose response to this Ted Talk is that she’s pretty need to have a talk with themselves. Reply benjamin bougie benjamin bougie 6 years ago tell me what to do and i will do it to cure my self>>> i will not shut up until this problem is solved Reply Radha Krishna Radha Krishna 3 years ago Man is a macro cosm..... Trillions and trillions of microorganisms involved.... What is life do you think an electronic or a proton is not live...... Everything is alive..... Everything changes... Electrons and protons has more life... More dynamic..... Think deep, be profound... 1 Reply Mg Sa Mg Sa 4 years ago Just a Lot of Talk, Little piddly researches, tortures with mice. End Result : Zero Reply id="27zNkhWvAdU" width="320" height="266" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/27zNkhWvAdU"> Human Science (Part 1) - The Gut Brain Axis, Microbiome & the power of Probiotics Infognostica 75.4K subscribers Subscribe 1.4K Share 82,981 views Sep 10, 2016 Fascinating new research tells us that our gut exerts an influence on the brain, affecting our mood, hormonal balance and obesity levels. Ps. Big welcome to all new subscribers! For more research, here's a starting point: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/... Also: http://www.drperlmutter.com/research-... Sneaky Snitch Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b... You can support this channel here: https://www.patreon.com/infognostica 71 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Rudrapratap Singh Rudrapratap Singh 5 years ago My God you guys are doing such great work! Awesome channel and Fabulous content. Informative and helpful. Thank you! Keep up the good work! Kudos to you! 5 Reply Garry Willing Garry Willing 3 years ago Speaking as a medical student in the UK, diet is a key question patients get asked as part of a psychiatric history. And that's been true for at least a few years now. We've also had multiple lectures on the gut-brain-axis. 1 Reply Hormazd Motafram Hormazd Motafram 5 years ago (edited) Amazing video !! I can totally vouch for this. Your gut and brain are merely separated by distance and positioning in the human body. They are highly connected. This can be viewed in a positive as well as negative manner. It's upto you !! 1 Reply Coolasafan Fuku Coolasafan Fuku 5 years ago Very interesting I'll do a study one day showing the differences between mice and humans turns out we're much different. 1 Reply Red FX Red FX 3 months ago The antibiotics I was put on inside a hospital wiped out everything in my gut (good and bad). Three days after leaving the hospital I was going back in. I basically had to learn medicine to stop doctors from f#@king my system up. Reply Iron Body Coaching & Yoga Iron Body Coaching & Yoga 1 year ago Hey this was an awesome video... is there a part 2? Reply 45 Plus 45 Plus 5 years ago I recently began taking megadose probiotics (500 billion per day) and I can confirm that you get an obvious relaxed, happy feeling come through. I'm also way more positive and smile easily. 10 Reply Infognostica · 6 replies Tadiwos Kebede Tadiwos Kebede 2 weeks ago Thank you! It was really informative!!! Reply Master Your Body TV Master Your Body TV 6 years ago i love your videos, awesome stuff- very interesting 10 Infognostica Reply Vijay Anmole Vijay Anmole 5 years ago Totally agreeable..!! I hv faced issues related to depression n OCD because of low serotonin in my guts.. Reply 2 replies Arunava Sadhukhan Arunava Sadhukhan 6 years ago It would be great if a video on Vegetarianism vs veganism vs Balanced diet (including animal products and meat) can be made. It really hard to decide these days what's actually good for us, because of different researchers giving results. 7 Reply Infognostica · 16 replies Sai Kiran Naragam Sai Kiran Naragam 3 years ago Great videos... Great work... Reply skrammedyret skrammedyret 5 years ago The neurotransmitter is called GABA (Gamma-Amino Butyric Acid) - not GABBA :-) 21 Reply Infognostica · 3 replies yogi yogi 5 years ago This is why I pay YouTube - great talent! 4 Reply 1 reply John Sharnetsky John Sharnetsky 11 months ago Excellent video Reply Qliphirot Qliphirot 6 months ago What is the title of that 2004 paper, I'm interested to read it. Reply Saish Sawant Saish Sawant 5 years ago so for last few years my depression was because of what i ate ?? 4 Reply Infognostica · 3 replies Jayanth R Jayanth R 5 years ago Awesome 2 Reply alfonso dacullo alfonso dacullo 10 months ago Wheres the Part2 ?? Reply Uros Aleksic Uros Aleksic 4 years ago But think about this, is it NATURAL for animals to NOT SCARE and NOT enter in "flight or fight" state?! Why situation with second mice is approved (not scared by cat which will eat him)?! 2 Reply Infognostica · 2 replies Bliss WKC Bliss WKC 5 years ago 💐😇🙏🕉 Reply Jake Brandon M. Andal, RND Jake Brandon M. Andal, RND 4 years ago where is part 2? Reply bibolcs bibolcs 3 years ago Magnesium to clean your gut daily... Reply 1 reply Manasa Y Manasa Y 2 years ago Fab video Reply MrBantu MrBantu 4 years ago who made the music? Reply Random Vicky Random Vicky 5 years ago I wonder what Kin Jon Un eats ... 2 Reply 4 replies SGS KP SGS KP 5 years ago Awesome 1 Reply The Future of Food and the Brain-Body Connection UCLA College 2.09K subscribers Subscribe 14 Share 486 views Nov 15, 2021 Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology presetnts The Future of Food and the Brain-Body Connection featuring Elaine Hsiao, Ph.D. Associate Professor, Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology De Logi Professor of Biological Sciences Amy Rowat, Ph.D. Associate Professor, Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology Marcie H. Rothman Presidential Chair in Food Studies Q&A moderated by Rachelle H. Crosbie, Ph.D. Chair and Professor, Department of Integrative Biology and PhysiologyThe Future of Food and the Brain-Body Connection As a land grant institution, the UCLA College of Letters and Science acknowledges the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (Los Angeles basin, So. Channel Islands). Key moments View all Contributions of the Microbiome to the Ketogenic Diet by Elaine Hsiao, PhD Metabolic Health Summit 4.62K subscribers Subscribe 21 Share 497 views Oct 12, 2022 #MHS2022 “More and more studies are revealing that the gut microbiome can affect brain and behavior” assures Dr. Elaine Hsiao who is interested in all things microbial, neural, and immune. Her presentation in the Optimizing Metabolic Health Symposium at MHS 2022 discussed the interactions between the ketogenic diet and the gut microbiome. The gut microbiome is the ecosystem of microorganisms of bacteria, viruses and fungi that work together to digest food and modulate overall health of the host - aka you! Over just a few days, the microbiome shifts in a predictable way depending on the diet of an individual. One of Dr. Hsiao’s recent projects has been investigating the role of the ketogenic diet in treating refractory epilepsy. She found that the microbiome is necessary for the anti-seizure effects of the ketogenic diet in her model system. Further, there are at least two specific strains of bacteria that can protect against seizures, even if the test animal is not on the ketogenic diet. The caveat here is that in order for the bacteria to play a protective role against epilepsy, the bacteria must be alive. Importantly, OTC probiotics do not always supply a significant amount of live, bioavailable bacteria. Dr. Hsiao’s team has found that these two key bacterial strains are crucial for regulating a subset of amino acids that are considered ‘ketogenic amino acids’ and have a modification called gamma-glutamination. Watch Dr. Hsiao’s full talk to let her explain all of the ins-and-outs of the microbiome on our virtual platform along with more than 40 other lectures, in-depth panels, and special interest forums from#MHS2022, at www.metabolichealthsummit.com! 0 Comments rongmaw lin Add a comment... Do Gut Microbes Really Talk to the Brain? with Dr. Elaine Hsiao | MGC Ep. 21 Emeran Mayer, MD 3.04K subscribers Subscribe 31 Share 1,010 views Nov 14, 2019 One of the most intriguing scientific questions in the field of microbiome science is the question of how the trillions of microbes living in our gut communicate with our brain, and what influence this communication has on our mind and our our health Dr. Elaine Hsiao, an Assistant Professor in the Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology at UCLA is an internationally recognized authority on the interactions between the gut microbes, the immune system and the brain. She has published seminal papers on the role of the gut microbiome in mouse models of autism spectrum disorders and epilepsy and has won numerous awards. Follow Dr. Mayer: https://linktr.ee/emayer The Mind Gut Conversation series is produced by E. Dylan Mayer Chapters View all 1 Comment rongmaw lin Add a comment... Hefesto´s Solitude Hefesto´s Solitude 3 years ago I think is important to put vaccine risks and side effects as a relevant variable as an atempt to understand the autism spectrum and auto imune diseases. Only genetic explanations wont explain the epidemic escalation of those diseases. I am not sugesting that vaccines cause those illness but could play a role as an interferance onto the imune system, especialy when babaies take shots in their early days and months and years of existance. 3 Reply Microbiome - Metabolism-based Therapies for Epilepsy Workshop NIHNINDS 2.55K subscribers Subscribe 7 Share Download 358 views Oct 5, 2020 Metabolism-based Therapies for Epilepsy Workshop This talk is a part of a set of pre-meeting videos for the upcoming Metabolism-based Therapies for Epilepsy Virtual Workshop held on November 9, 2020. This is part of session #2 (Preclinical – Dietary Components). To view the rest of the pre-meeting videos and register for the workshop, go to https://meetings.ninds.nih.gov/?ID=27445 Moving Microbes from Bench to Bedside UCLA TDG 339 subscribers Subscribe 1 Share Download 82 views Jun 8, 2021 An expert-led discussion of the promise of microbial-based treatments for disease while addressing the major obstacles in clinical translation and integrating microbiome-based treatments into the standard of care. MODERATOR: Elaine Hsiao, Assistant Professor, Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology, De Logi Chair in Biological Sciences, Division of Digestive Diseases, UCLA SPEAKERS: Raja Dhir, Co-Founder & Co-CEO, Seed Denise Kelly, Investment Advisor, Seventure Partners Nikole Kimes, CEO, Siolta Therapeutics Sarkis Mazmanian, Luis B. & Nelly Soux Professor of Microbiology, Caltech Key moments

No comments: